Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Here's how it is. There is a local business that offers to "flash" a Verizon iphone so that it will work on the Page Plus network, a prepaid vendor that offers plans that would keep in me in budget and on the cdma network that is more reliable here than the gsm network. The business is legitimate, i.e. is maintaining a store that services and sells cell phones, so I'm not too concerned about a scam. My bigger concern is that the flashing process will violate EULA and make upgrading to the next ios problematic. I will trust the business only so far in their assurances, since they are trying to sell me something that is not common knowledge to most people and so that brings me here. What does this community of gifted individuals have to say? Caveat Emptor or Carpe Diem?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Your phone might need to be JB to be flashed to a different carrier.
So when the new iOS comes out and there's no JB if you upgrade then you will not be able to use it on that other carrier. it will lock back to Verizon.
So you either stay on old firmware and wait or you're stuck.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Your phone might need to be JB to be flashed to a different carrier.
So when the new iOS comes out and there's no JB if you upgrade then you will not be able to use it on that other carrier. it will lock back to Verizon.
So you either stay on old firmware and wait or you're stuck.

I inquired and he says it's not necessary to jailbreak and it won't prevent updating iOS.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Oh cool.
Ask him if all features will work like texts, mms,carrier data etc.

Yeah, he says Page Plus is piggybacking on Verizon, so I will experience the same coverage, etc. I expect that the experience will be somewhat similar to Straight Talk using AT&T's network and you can't do mms on Straight Talk. Not a deal breaker for me, I even anticipate that data speed on Page Plus will lag during peak usage hours. I don't download or browse during the day, just check email, so this might be all I'm looking for. I think my biggest concern is the "flashing" part. I was hoping someone might chime in that has experience with this. Maybe there just aren't enough who have tried it yet to give feedback.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
where are you located? I unlock iphones and I am not aware of any other service in the US that you can use the verizon iphone on :confused:

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
where are you located? I unlock iphones and I am not aware of any other service in the US that you can use the verizon iphone on :confused:

Northern California, can't be more specific than that, as they don't let me out long enough to get a good fix on any landmarks and it's usually overcast at night, so I can't see the stars. Definitely coastal though. So I pulled up this from Wikipedia (for what it's worth):
"Page Plus Cellular is also notable for having an unofficial open device policy, these means most Verizon postpaid and Alltel phones can be activated (with limitations). Also other CDMA phones can be flashed or reprogrammed to use Page Plus network including devices from Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, and others excluding Virgin Mobile USA phones. However, Page Plus cannot activate prepaid Verizon/Alltel phones."
I tend to believe more information on Wikipedia is true than not, so this at least is possibly true... Wow, when I put it like that... Anyway, it does suggest that it's a legit thing, flashing a Verizon iPhone.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
well flashing cell phones is alot different than Unlocking iPhones. I can flash several different types of cell phones to use on other networks other than verizon but as of now you cannot unlock a verizon iPhone to use on another carrier in the US.

Northern California, can't be more specific than that, as they don't let me out long enough to get a good fix on any landmarks and it's usually overcast at night, so I can't see the stars. Definitely coastal though. So I pulled up this from Wikipedia (for what it's worth):
"Page Plus Cellular is also notable for having an unofficial open device policy, these means most Verizon postpaid and Alltel phones can be activated (with limitations). Also other CDMA phones can be flashed or reprogrammed to use Page Plus network including devices from Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, and others excluding Virgin Mobile USA phones. However, Page Plus cannot activate prepaid Verizon/Alltel phones."
I tend to believe more information on Wikipedia is true than not, so this at least is possibly true... Wow, when I put it like that... Anyway, it does suggest that it's a legit thing, flashing a Verizon iPhone.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
well flashing cell phones is alot different than Unlocking iPhones. I can flash several different types of cell phones to use on other networks other than verizon but as of now you cannot unlock a verizon iPhone to use on another carrier in the US.

I am hazy on the broad usage of the term "unlock" for cdma phones. I thought that term referred to gsm phones, yet I do see people advertising unlocked Sprint iPhones. The process as described to me is a Page Plus plan is activated with a "dummy" phone and after that process is complete, the "dummy" phone is replaced, electronically via the ESN. This raised the question, "couldn't all cdma phones, theoretically, have their native carrier software overridden to allow usage on another network." This would really empower the consumer and not give all the leverage to the providers. I did ask this of the local guy (I was gonna call him the flasher, but felt that would be unfair, he seems a decent sort), and he gave me the yes and no answer. To quote Valentine Michael Smith, "I am only an egg". That's why I come here.

Riruizny

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
I'm mot sure why u have to flash a Verizon iphone if meid is good. Page Plus told me they can't knowingly activate an iphone. To me, that meant don't tell them and they will. Only real restriction is can't activate 4G phones.
I'm in process of activating a clean Verizon iphone but Page Plus thinks it's a 4G phone. Agent told me take to authorized dealer and asked them to flash. Would prefer not to since iPhone 4S is NOT a 4G phone. They think it's 4G after I gave them MEID of phone. Also read that flashing deactivates cellular data on phone. Anyone else have similar experience? Is flashing a big deal?

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I'm mot sure why u have to flash a Verizon iphone if meid is good. Page Plus told me they can't knowingly activate an iphone. To me, that meant don't tell them and they will. Only real restriction is can't activate 4G phones.
I'm in process of activating a clean Verizon iphone but Page Plus thinks it's a 4G phone. Agent told me take to authorized dealer and asked them to flash. Would prefer not to since iPhone 4S is NOT a 4G phone. They think it's 4G after I gave them MEID of phone. Also read that flashing deactivates cellular data on phone. Anyone else have similar experience? Is flashing a big deal?[/

Whoa. I forgot about this thread and missed your response until now. Flashing is not a big deal,but I think that it can only be done through an authorized dealer. It can be done over the phone so maybe that helps? Or do you just not want to pay someone to do it?
For anyone else that's interested, I've been using a 4s on page plus for 3 months now and haven't had any problems with the phone or the service. Billing is the biggest drawback. They need to iron out some wrinkles in the monthly renewal process, based on my short experience with them. I have to say that even so I am really stoked to have an iPhone on a $40/month plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.