thoughts on next Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jimmery, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Jimmery macrumors member

Hopefully an updated Airport Express will be out soon (with wireless n), but since the Apple TV does media streaming, and the new Airport Extreme Basestation can do printer/hard drive sharing, I'm not sure what is left for the Airport Express, in terms of increased functionality. Any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It might just be cheaper and have some minor limitations. I think there's still room for a cut-down mobile router.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

the mobility is what does it for me. I usually bring it with me to my friends' houses and we get wi-fi to work on instead of plugging 3 metres of ethernet cables to our laptops.

That I usually forget it is a whole other story... :rolleyes:

4. Harald3000 macrumors newbie

hi-fi

hello folks!

isnt it so, that with an airport express, you can play music from your stereo wthout cables from your mac?

as far as I know, this isnt possible with the airport extreme basestation. Or am I wrong?

:cool:

macbook black, 2 bg ram, mighty mouse

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

But it is with the AppleTV. But I think the Airport Express will stay to fill the gap as a "cheap" wireless (print)router. It would be nice if it had some extra's though, but what...

6. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

No one really commented as far as I can tell and I'm out of the loop on the "n" compared to "g" wireless.....

Can anyone tell me why someone would want "n" over "g".

Also, I know they dropped the price but do people think there will be a new Airport Express "n" out in the next couple of months??

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I was about to head out the door to buy an express when I decided to do a little research before hand.

Thanks for any help guys.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

n is faster than g

8. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Thanks psychofreak but does anyone think or heard rumors of a new updated technology on the airport express?

9. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

i'm not an expert, but with audio would it actually be any different to have 'n' over 'g'? perhaps less buffering, but i don't see apple upgrading express to 'n' as a priority on the audio side of things.

Also just a small question, with the extreme base station is it true it doesn't have a modem? i have a belkin router/adsl modem and it cost me 60 quid! why would you pay double and not even get a modem included?

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

No , but for product generally, n is where it will be soon, right?

Also, does having a g device on an n network slow the whole network down? Or does n adapt speed to each device?

11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

A new Airport Express will be out very soon as I just bought one. Works very well streaming music to my stereo. Also doubles as a wireless access point. I don't use it as a router.

I wish that in iTunes there was a shuffle for shared music. We use the iBook to play the shared music from the PowerMac. I also wish there was a remote or a button on the Airport Express that would just play music when pressed.

12. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

does your new express support "n"?
    my understanding is if you put a "g" like the old express on the extreme "n" network is that it slows down the network. is this true?

13. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I don't have any "n" products. I'm upgrading from the original graphite Apple Base Station.

The Airport Express does not support "n". It only supports b or g or b/g.

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Maybe it will be upgraded to 802.11n, and in addition to music and printer sharing it will now have music, printer AND usb disk sharing.

Wait... that destroys Apple's market segmentation schemes... :rolleyes: