Thoughts on Next-Gen Newton

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iindigo, May 8, 2005.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Today I was thinking about a next-generation newton, and somewhere in my line of thought, the question "What type of interface would it use?" came to mind.

Which do you think a modern newton would be served better by: a modernized version of the original Newton interface, or a full blown "mini OS X"? Also, what features do you expect a machine of this type to have?

2. gangst macrumors 6502a

I thought Steve Jobs made it clear Apple weren't going to make one??

3. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Yes, but that doesn't prevent a third party from creating one or something very similar - for example, BeOS was abandoned three years ago, yet there are several developers working on it. Same principal here.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

apple will never release their rights ot the newton names or technologies...

5. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Solution: Don't call it a Newton, and write your own Newton-like OS for the device.

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

So then it would be a palm pilot or MS PDA?

Yeah....

BEN

7. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

No, not at all. This new device would use many of the same ideas and concepts of the Newton, as well as many Mac-like ideas and concepts - something PalmPilots and PocketPCs will never have.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Well, right now there is an emulator of the Newton called Einstein. The creator wants to eventually make it run on other Arm based mobile devices: like the iPaq. It still has a lot of work, but it so far, so good.

Here is a link: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/einstein/

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It'll be just another PDA.

The only real difference is that this has a link to the Newton, so it would get all the Mac fanboys interested.

And if the OS in the link above didn't have any inspiration from the Newton, an Apple product, you wouldn't even be interested.

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Ouch!
    I thought the newton has been widely recognosed for having a great os, but was before it's time in terms of technolgy?

Who's that going trip-trap trip-trap....

I think the idea of an apple-made PDA excites people, just as they have a mp3 player, screen, mouse and keyboard made by the same company, the seamless integration of another device would be welcome!

I have a Palm Tugsten T3, and it's good, but was a pig to set up with my Macs due to the shoddieness of the Palm installer. The iSync conduit does it's best, but is not great in the end (calendar types not preserved etc.).

I think a trollish comment like that is unheeded, just as Mac users (isn't this a Mac user's forum!?) will buy an iPod over an iriver (better integration), I can see why they would buy an apple-designed PDA over a Palm.

If such a device existed, that synced Mail, Safari Bookmarks, Calendars, Contacts and the like with my Mac, I would have certianly given it a good look before considering a Palm.

Just because it's made by apple doesn't make it superior, but from past evidence apple deviced just work better with apple computers! (Airport express & extreme, displays, iPod etc.)

I don't think that meerly the "fanboys" as you brand them, would be interested, I thikn anyone who owns a mac and wants to use a PDA could benefit.

Try to consider all the angles/advantages/dissadvantages of the apple-designed PDA before labelling it a fanboy fantasy!

11. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Quite the contrary. The newton was and still is much more than your average PDA. Also, one key factor that a lot of people liked was its screen size - it allowed it to be a viable replacement for a paper notebook. It's very hard to do this with a Palm or even a PocketPC with their very small screens. I know what you're gonna say next: "Get a tablet PC then!". This doesn't work well either, since tablet PCs are too large/clunky and far too overpowered for their task (not to mention price - eeek!). A device like the newton now would be very thin and light, and most likely cost about the same amount as the previous newtons (the MessagePad 2100 was about US$300 retail, right?).

12. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

try around $1000 US :eek: