thoughts on Piracy.....

Discussion in 'Community' started by sambo., Aug 18, 2005.

1. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

ok;

I have had my CD collection knocked off more times than i care to remember.

last time, some 600+ (bought ones at AUD$25+ each, didn't have a burner in those days) got stolen by some smackhead. now many of those were replacements for ones knocked off on previous occasions, so i have spent a fair bit on some CD's (The Cure, U2 and REM spring to mind).

so, do you rekon you could beat a piracy rap for downloading those albums from the web by producing receipts for those same CD's you bought years ago? if only i had the receipts :)

it just doesn't feel "wrong" to burn a CD i have actually paid for multiple times, pity it's illegal without going through the iTMS (which i don't have, being in Oz) or similar.

just a thought.
    sambo.
    :eek:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's a small contradiction in Australian law in that you are allowed to make a copy of a CD for back up purposes yet you are not allowed to transfer copyrighted data (music or otherwise) from one media to another. Yeah, go figure... :confused:

From a pragmatic perspective, you can make back up copies of your CDs and not get reprimanded (realistically) and it's technically not pirating. However, transferring these disk to someone else is illegal.

Just out of interest, could you get reimbursed for the CDs through home insurance? Are you covered? Do you have to show them receipts or are they satisfied going by your word? That way you get replacements without having to resort to piracy.

Oh, and I agree with you. I can't wait for iTMS. The current alternatives are pathetic and at last check, none of them are Mac compatible anyway. :(

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Bigpond music store with wma encoded music anyone :D

That sucks losing all that music, goes to show you should keep your receipts. As for me, all my music is in my closet so unless some one breaks in and steals it i should be fine. Thanks to iTunes i never touch a cd after its encoded :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But you need "Windows 98 or higher" to use it. Have you managed to get it working on a Mac? That'd be pretty cool, although they've still only got a pretty pathetic range of artists. :(

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I was trying to be sarcastic, did't work :eek:

Just realised that Bigpond music is 99 cents, thats cheap with the rumours that iTunes music store Australia is going to cost $1.78 a track.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My bad. :D

Yeah, but there's only so much Guy Sebastian a man can handle! Even if it is cheap... :(

7. sambo. thread starter macrumors regular

sambo.

hah

at last, something this Celeron 500! :( MIGHT be able to do.

oh, thats right, the cheaparse bastard who bought it (before my time) skimped and didn't put a sound card in it......

sept 21.... tick, tick, tick....

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'll race you to the site. You use the Celeron and I'll use Virtual PC. :p

Does anyone know if VPC even works with these sites? I imagine it would.

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The songs work in media player, so i assume you would be able to. Also couldn't you use the pc to download songs and burn it to cd and then encode it in iTunes, i know it would degrade the quality but it might just work.

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

thoughts on piracy?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- i love me plundering with me mateys! surrender the booty, lassie!

ohhh... different piracy... :rolleyes: :D

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably not, since the litigation expense of defending yourself from downloading pirated music wouldn't be worth it.

If you had it all on your computer, I wouldn't worry about it.

Same with copying the ripped files from somebody you know.

But replacing 600 CDs by visiting music piracy sites, is asking for trouble.

Because it might be a electronic footprint that may be big enough to make a splash, in one of the rounds of music piracy lawsuits.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just get them back on your insurance. Or take the insurance money and loan the CDs from your local library and rip them into iTunes (don't know about Australian law but here in Norway you can copy any music you've obtained legally). :)

[​IMG]

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Technically, that's illegal in Australia but to be honest, there are quite a few contradictions in the law. It really needs to be updated/modified. A version 2.0 would be lovely. :)

Oh, and keep the 'toons coming, they're great. :D

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here's what I think you should do:

1. Each time you acquire a new CD, rip the contents of it to high-quality music files (192 kbps... Apple Lossless is a little impractical for what I am about to suggest).

2. Then, burn all of your music files to a high-density storage format ( = lots of files in a very small space). Specifically, I'm thinking of dual-layer DVD (8.5 GB per disc).

I suggest this because I own 422 music CDs (all legally bought and paid for), but their contents, ripped to 192 kbps high-quality format, all fit on just 4 DVDs. If someone was to steal my music CDs, those 4 DVDs, easily backed up and safely stored, have ALL of my music.

This SHOULD be legal where you are; if it isn't, there's something wrong with your laws.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Man, Im sorry to hear that happened to you. I would suggest talking with your homeowners insurance before you resort to anything "illegal" (grey area or otherwise).

16. sambo. thread starter macrumors regular

sambo.

your thinking Corporate Piracy there i think.... :rolleyes:

17. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Considering all of the evils perpetuated by government, I think that seeking restoration of your music collection is a pretty damned minor offense.

18. sambo. thread starter macrumors regular

sambo.

thats pretty much how i feel about it, unfortunatly for me to legally reobtain ALL the music that filthy little smackheads have pinched over the years would cost many, many $1000's.

i'll prolly just rip all the "megastar" stuff (REM, The Cure, U2, Green Day et al) and re-purchase the indy-produced stuff.

unfortunatly, without all the little slips of paper, i'd be a criminal for doing so (which I havn't, so bog-off) in Oz.

stoopidity, thats what it is, stoopidity.

now is it My stoopidity for getting my CD's knocked off, or the Govt's stoopidity for not protecting it's citizens......

bleagh :eek:

19. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

nuk nuk nuk

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3 Canadians standing in a row?

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Homeowners and especially auto insurance these days have imposed claim limits on CD theft -- on our policy the most you can claim for a CD theft from a car is $25.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Mild thread-jack:

I buy a CD, and rip it to iTunes to put it on my iPod.
    At some time later, I trade the CD in, or give it to a friend.
    Am I legally required to delete the songs from my computer?

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unclear, but in Canada if you copy the CD to another CD or cassette tape on which you have paid the Recording levy, then you may legally keep the CD you burned regardless what you do with the original. This does NOT appy to hard drives or to iPods (now that the iPod levy has been repealed).

25. sambo. thread starter macrumors regular

sambo.

No Ululating Kerosene, No Unreasonable Kinetics, Never U-turn Kelvin?