Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
Pros:

-fastest browser I have ever used
-good bookmark management
-built in Google
-great GUI
-syncs automatically with IE bookmarks
-not over-loaded with bells & whistles
-only a 3.5MB download and a 7MB app

Cons:
-no tabbed browsing
-re-sizing won't "fill screen"
-no free beer

post your thoughts!

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
more Pros:
-most keyboard commands same as IE
-pop-up blocker
-website icons show up in URL bar & bookmark window
-that lil snapback arrow is NICE

damn, I must sound like S. Jobs, but after 15 minutes with this thang I REALLY like it.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Just switched from Chimera, and it's nice!
Only thing I miss is tabbed browsing and display of those lil icons in the bookmark bar.
This auto-delete downloaded .sit files and just keeping the originals doesn't work for me...

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by TheT
This auto-delete downloaded .sit files and just keeping the originals doesn't work for me...
I have to correct myself: It's not supposed to work with .sit files... workes fine with .dmgs :)

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
also:

combining the status bar with the URL bar is a real nice compacting feature.

the download manager is okay, but could be implemented into the GUI better, a lil bar in the tool bar to show downloads would be cool.

this free-floating window I get when I open Safari is REAL ANNOYING. Like the first version of iCal, it just opens at random places and sizes on my desktop.

OY YEAH... check THIS out:

http://internet-safari.com/

ANOTHER browser with the SAME NAME?!?!?!? VERY un-Apple like...

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by mike czech
also:

combining the status bar with the URL bar is a real nice compacting feature.
Yeah, but it should be graphite when the OS is graphite... :D well, it's a beta.
Is there any way to send feedback besides the bug-report-feature?

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Maybe it's just my DSL service, which has been known to act up, but Chimera seems faster than Safari on my 17"Imac. Safari seems to pause before fully loading a web site. Chimera doesn't do this.

BTW, how do I set one of these two browsers to be my default browser? I use MSN messenger and it always opens IE when I need to check email.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Needs tabs (I too have submitted a bug request for this). I have also de-metalised it (2 nibs: browser.nib and downloads.nib if you want to do it). Other than that it seems to work fine for me.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
My only complaint is tabs. I have grown to use these all the time. My tentative opinion is that everything is as good or better than Chimera.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
I think I'm just stupid, but for the life of me I can't import my bookmarks from Chimera into Safari.

Any know how to do this?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Well, everybody already mentioned my biggest complaint (no tabs) but I do like the bug submission button, the minimalistic interface, plus it's fast as hell, sometimes faster than Chimera, but tabs make more use of my bandwith so I'm keeping Safari on the side for now.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Well i just read the help for Safari and it specifically states that it will not import bookmarks from any other browser but IE.

Oh well.... chimera is staying as my primary browser for now.

We need TABS!

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
tabs and a proflie manger is what I want, or sync that with your address book

PabloEskimo

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Belgium
great browser! but I also want:

1. Tabs
2. Minimum/maximum font size
3. Remember passwords
4. Auto-fill
5. Graphite button mouse-clicks in address bar
6. Graphite status bar in address bar
7. History menu should be Go menu
8. Dock menu with bookmarks...
9. Remember window positions
10. Click & hold to show contextual menu
11. Drag & drop text
12. Better "view source"
13. "Send Link" menu item in File menu
14. Option to set a font that should be used instead of the fonts used by the website designer

that's all I can think of for now
:)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you can export your bookmarks from chimera into an html file and then open it with safari and click each link one at a time and bookmark it...kind of a pain...but it works...i ended up only using about a third of my original bookmarks...most were crap anyways

safari just crashed on me for the first time about 10 minutes ago while trying to download the newest version of acquisition

oh yah...and i don't like the separate downloads window...it should work more like the bookmarks

ryanweb

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2001
NY
Just added folders to bookmarks bar

Create a new folder, click on Bookmarks bar and drag your folder into the window. Works exactly like in Chimera. Nice.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
in terms of loading speed, there are some sites faster, some slower (than Chimera), and I agree the tabs should be there- but other than that I like it alot. The scrolling difference is significant, it really is ALOT smoother, and i like the interface. anything about bookmarks doesn't matter to me, because I don't use them, same with remembering passwords (I am as paranoid as a snuffleupagus in a mouse factory). good app, cannot wait for the new ilife set. . .

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
I like it a lot. Real fast

It's MUCH faster than chimera or IE on both Verizon DSL at school and Valstar DSL at home. I'm a little upset about one thing. Integration with the Keychain! Chimera does this wonderfully with storing login's and passwords. Hopefully in the next version. I like storing them in Keychain instead of having the browser store them on its own.

Other than that, it's the best browser I've used on a mac.

engpjp

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2002
Fast but Fragile

It's fast, but sometimes not quite as fast as Chimera. It's a MAJOR oversight that you cannot import bookmarks manually, and that only IE can be a donor. I have a number of browsers I use, and they are NOT synchronized (now there's a job for a future iSync!).

Tabbed browsing is a must by now; on the other hand I prefer the way Safari handles the bookmark list to the awful sheet-in-sheet-out routine in Chimera. All parts of an iApp should more or less be presentable in the area taken by the initial window; in that respect, IE5 DID innovate, and that way of doing it cannot be beaten, in my universe at least.

Like with the other iApps, too many things are automated or hidden away (just compare the preferences to those of IE, or iCab for that matter). Then again, it's a nice touch that you can set the default browser in Safari's prefs.

But what is it about that name? does Apple want us to use that browser to go looking for the Next Big Beast (TM) ???

engpjp

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
apple still has yet to release a browser that is
faster then PC browsers, but this is definitely
the best browser for a mac. This MW made me
want to go out and buy a mac really badly. Oh
well. I should just be happy that I spent next
to nothing on my PC. ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.