Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Is the reason why the people say that Nikon is not so good to video?
That's part of it.
Especially the 70D has continous autofocus in video mode, which helps for low level production.

However a few years back the team that shot the show 'Wilfred' changed from canon to a bunch of Nikon D800 because the image quality was superior. They recorded straight to CF card and didn't even bother with uncompressed hdmi out.

You can see the results on netflix starting in the second half of season 2.

Keep in mind that these folks have loads of equipment, lighting and dedicated focus pullers.

But it is interesting to see a show with superstars like Robin Williams and Elijah Wood exclusively shot on Nikon DSLRs.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'm considering an 80D and have a question. Can I import the video files it creates into an iPad using the SD Card reader and edit them in iMovie? Is the file format compatible?

What about the 70D? I'm looking at that option too, but understand it only encodes in MOV while the 80D encodes in MPEG 4. I know bitrate can be an issue for iOS too.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I'm considering an 80D and have a question. Can I import the video files it creates into an iPad using the SD Card reader and edit them in iMovie? Is the file format compatible?

What about the 70D? I'm looking at that option too, but understand it only encodes in MOV while the 80D encodes in MPEG 4. I know bitrate can be an issue for iOS too.
canon just announced the t7i and 77D, so another wrinkle in your dilemma,

Reactions: redman042

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I know. This is getting complicated. Still leaning towards the 80D though. It appears to be a better camera overall than the 77D, other than it having the Digic 6 instead of the 7. Not sure how much I would notice the difference as the 80D is already an amazing camera.

Reactions: jerwin and kenoh

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
eww. The 77D has a pentamirror !!?

Is that true? If so, I think the 80D is the right choice for me. Sounds like the 77D is a slightly souped-up T6s, which was the camera I was originally planning to get (to upgrade from a very old XSi), before my attention got drawn to the 80D.

I'm not settled on the 80D yet, as we were only planning to spend $1000, but the 80D is half again more than that ($1500). It's also larger/heavier, and this camera will get used for travel. Need to get some hands-on time to decide.

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
. . . this camera will get used for travel. . .
It depends on what type of pictures you take, but for me the Panasonic Lumix TS100/TZ100 is hard to beat for travelling. That said, I have a Canon 80D since end of last year and I'm very happy with it. I had changed to mirrorless (Lumix GH4) from full frame (5DIII) because of weight; and while the image quality is OK I never managed to get really good images from the grand children or pets in action. The focus was always just a little bit off. This is where the DSLR (including the 80D) still rules!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
It depends on what type of pictures you take, but for me the Panasonic Lumix TS100/TZ100 is hard to beat for travelling. That said, I have a Canon 80D since end of last year and I'm very happy with it. I had changed to mirrorless (Lumix GH4) from full frame (5DIII) because of weight; and while the image quality is OK I never managed to get really good images from the grand children or pets in action. The focus was always just a little bit off. This is where the DSLR (including the 80D) still rules!

Well we just came back from a hands-on with both the T6S and the 80D. The 80D is larger and heavier for sure, but not so much so that it really changes the overall portability vs. a Rebel. Either way, you're carrying a decent sized bag with the camera body and lenses/accessories. And the 80D feels SO solid to hold and operate. It really is a big step above the Rebel line. Love the much faster burst mode too.

We'll be ordering one tomorrow. Very excited!

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010

Yes you can. That is my trade show booth interview workflow. I import the video files from 70D to iPad Pro using SD card reader then edit in iMovie (or another editor app if need be)

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
The files/images contain more dr and less noise.
Thanks to the sensor of course.

This is generaly the case for most Nikons over Canon. (except the 5ds)

The dr difference is quite significant.

It's one stop between the 80D and D7200. I don't call that 'significant'. And the noise performance is basically identical.

IMG_1815.jpg

There is also a suspicion among many that the Sony sensors cater to the specific tests dxomark does. For example, dxo doesn't test for pattern noise at all. In the past that gave cameras like the D7100 a 'win', but in the real world their files fell apart in editing. And pros overwhelmingly shoot Canon over Nikon (see 2016 sales figures and CIPA report), to spite these test differences.
[doublepost=1488400148][/doublepost]
How do you like the low light performance? I don't mean dark but indoor or home lighting. Can you shoot at something like ISO100 or 1600 and get nice, low noise images?

I had no problem getting clean shots at ISO 1600 with the 70D, so I can't imagine the 80D having any issues. In fact, that was the first and only camera I owned that I set ISO to "Auto" (100-6400), and never touched the control again.

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
Is that true? If so, I think the 80D is the right choice for me. Sounds like the 77D is a slightly souped-up T6s, which was the camera I was originally planning to get (to upgrade from a very old XSi), before my attention got drawn to the 80D.

I'm not settled on the 80D yet, as we were only planning to spend $1000, but the 80D is half again more than that ($1500). It's also larger/heavier, and this camera will get used for travel. Need to get some hands-on time to decide.

Not sure what I'm missing here, but the 80D cost $1099 at B&H.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1225875-REG/canon_1263c004_eos_80d_dslr_camera.html

Reactions: neutrino23

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's one stop between the 80D and D7200. I don't call that 'significant'. And the noise performance is basically identical.

View attachment 690595

There is also a suspicion among many that the Sony sensors cater to the specific tests dxomark does. For example, dxo doesn't test for pattern noise at all. In the past that gave cameras like the D7100 a 'win', but in the real world their files fell apart in editing. And pros overwhelmingly shoot Canon over Nikon (see 2016 sales figures and CIPA report), to spite these test differences.
[doublepost=1488400148][/doublepost]

I had no problem getting clean shots at ISO 1600 with the 70D, so I can't imagine the 80D having any issues. In fact, that was the first and only camera I owned that I set ISO to "Auto" (100-6400), and never touched the control again.
I see someone revived this old thread ...

I think I meant in general Nikon has better dr on almost all their comparable DSLRs.
For photo that is.

For taking photos I would also always go full frame.
I recently got myself a d5300 as a 2nd body to my d610.

I was shocked how much difference there is in image quality.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I went ahead and got the 80D replacing a 40D. Wow! I'm really impressed. There is a lot to love. I haven't tested every aspect yet. The low light capability is really good. The quieter shutter is very nice. The tilt out LCD screen is very nice.

A really nice feature is the built in wifi. I use wifi to download pictures to my iPad. No need for the camera connection kit. I'm very happy with this upgrade.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I went ahead and got the 80D replacing a 40D. Wow! I'm really impressed. There is a lot to love. I haven't tested every aspect yet. The low light capability is really good. The quieter shutter is very nice. The tilt out LCD screen is very nice.

A really nice feature is the built in wifi. I use wifi to download pictures to my iPad. No need for the camera connection kit. I'm very happy with this upgrade.

It is a great camera. I am enjoying it a lot.

One word of advice about using wifi to download photos. By default the app downscales images to 1080p. You can change that in the app settings to "not resize". However even with that change, you can download JPEGs only. No RAW or movie files.
[doublepost=1488431341][/doublepost]

That's the body only. I bought the one with the 18-135 kit lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.