Thoughts on the JVC Everio GZ-MC505

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I've seen this recently online and it seems interesting. Has anyone used one? What's the video quality like?

D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If it's an MPEG-2 based camera that shoots to a memory stick, MiniDVD or HDD run away. Run very far away.

Lethal

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha! Well, it says it has a 30 gig harddrive, so that would give you decent recording time, but if its MPEG-2 I'm not really interested.

Thanks,

D

4. iandh2010 macrumors newbie

GZ-MG505 Camcorder

I have just returned a Panasonic VDR D250 3CCD camcorder as it gave the worst picture quality on a TV that I have ever seen. I reckon that my old Sony Video-8 analogue model gave sharper picture quality.

I am currently looking for a camcorder that gives max. resolution on standard TV (UK 625 lines) true widescreen format 16:9 and comes in around £400 - £600 (probably $400-$600 with usual UK electronics prices).

After messing around with miniDVD I probably want a hard disk camcorder so I am presently considering:
    JVC GZ MG77
    Sony DCR SR90
    JVC GZ MC505

However, I noted the comments above about the GZ MC505 and not getting an MPEG2 camcorder. I can't afford an HD TV + camcorder at present so what is wrong with MPEG2? Those camcorders that I have tried and that offer a high resolution record mode appear to only pull the video off in MPEG2 anyway!

I would really appreaciate some guidance and advice.

Thanks
    Ian

5. sababadon macrumors newbie

quality is good, but it's really hard to manage the files

I've had my JVC Everio 30GB cam corder for a few months now and finally getting around to moving the files to my mac.

The quality of the video is great! Especially when I watch them on my 32inch HDTV.

But, now I want to save the videos and create a DVD, with iMovie of courese, and it's been a very rough start. A few other posts on this site talk about the conversion and so far I am not able to convert to DV, the format that iMovie wants, without losing serious quality. I think my next step is to get a shareware to convert the formats.

Honestly, I really thought I was make my video management a lot easier by going with a hard drive but so far, not so much.

Good luck.
    `don