Thoughts on the MBA conspiracy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aep42686, Feb 2, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2008
    I think that the reason that they are not selling them is because they have major glitches or something that is really wrong with them, and they dont wanna release them to the public...... Any thoughts because it seems that it could be the case.
  2. macrumors 68020

Mar 2, 2007
    what??? doubt it, they ll reach almost every store in two weeks from now i think
  3. Retired

May 16, 2006
    Some people have MBAs. There is no conspiracy.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2008
    true, but what about things like the xbox glitches, it still is a somewhat new thing for apple. The intel chip has not been used before...... maybe it will blow up...... i dont know...
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2008
    I just think the launch wasn't well planned and thought out.
  6. macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2003
    This launch wasn't bad, they shipped in two weeks like was promised. The first macbook pro was a terrible launch, and it was delayed several times (long enough to get a processor bump).
  7. macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    I suspect the launch was very well thought out to gain the maximum amount of attention, hype and discussion.

This is Apple in 2008, not 1995.
  8. macrumors member

Jun 25, 2007
    Wow! that was the exact same thing my wife just mentioned. It could very well be a complete line shut down and they don't want to admit it.

9. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2008

If a horribly small amount shipped in two weeks means as promised then I guess so.
    Well would be more professional to have a distribution center stateside for pre-orders and retail. A nice simple timeline. Not this whole pre-order here pre-order there, some demo units, some nothing, some sold, some nothing, untrained staff.

I don't even want to count how many useless hours I have spent dealing with the stores in person or on phone this week. A million and one different answers, recommendations that just made more hassle.
  10. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005

I'm stuck for what else to say, other than bless.

* at least he hasn't realised that aliens are controlling apple * :rolleyes::p;)
  11. macrumors member

instant hit

Jan 26, 2008
    i don't think it's a conspiracy at all. the inclement weather in shanghai has had an impact on its infrastructure. barring regional problems such as weather out of apple's control, i think shipments would be pouring out of that country as opposed to trickling out.

of course, we won't know definitively until there's an official explanation.
  12. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Please do a bit of research before making comments like this.

Apple has release a few Mac models with Intel chips already. None have blown up.
  13. macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2008
    Give me a break. I got one on Thursday and my wife has been using it non-stop for three days now. I love it.
  14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2008
    the NEW intel chip that is only in the mba.... and some macs have blown up to some extent.
  15. macrumors member

Jan 20, 2008
    If they have major glitches that they knew about, I doubt any of them would've been sent out. Or put on display at Apple stores. If it weren't ready it would be held back---Apple TV take 2?
  16. macrumors member

instant hit

Jan 26, 2008
    but to play devil's advocate, perhaps apple is putting a spin on the meaning behind "camping." think about it; instead of having people line up in the cold for days on in (and on that note, how uncivilized for apple's image), why not create store traffic by having the same group of people "camp" inside the store. how sophisticated. :rolleyes:

consider the wii: rarely anyone hung around gamestops and targets before until the wii came to those same stores "in limited quantities." and when they did, people "camped" in store during that store's delivery windows for a chance at scoring a wii.
  17. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2008
    i think it is AWSOME too, but you never know......... just a thought.... the others are right its prob for the attention because they didn't know how they were gonna sell so they got people to look at them who wouldn't have if there weren't the commotion
  18. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2008
    I think they just dont want a whole lot of pre-orders pissing and moaning if they have them in retail stores before their loyal customers hands. It seems like common sense to me, look at how many people pre-ordered and would just be fuming if they could buy it in stores before they personally had one. And the whole weather thing is just making the situation much worse. Seems simple to me :rolleyes:
  19. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Feb 9, 2005
    The good side of the grass.
    My thoughts too...
  20. macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2008
    people it is a conspiracy

Apple had to hold back to plant all the government tracking devices in them.
  21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2008
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2008
    I think maybe pushing it to a Friday launch (Yesterday) might have been planned so some pre-orders would have them in hand. It's so screwed up that I don't think any of this nonsense is planned.
  23. macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2005
    Ummmm... two and a half weeks ago, they were on track for a major launch.

In between, there has been worst-in-a-century weather in the areas where these are produced, almost certainly affecting supply chain, labor, logistics, etc. In many areas of China now, there's just flat no electricity, and hasn't been any for over a week.

This is a beautiful example, IMHO, of a product launch totally blown out of the water by a Just-In-Time delivery plan failing horribly because of the snowstorms.

It's nobody's fault - the only way to prevent that sort of thing is to pad the schedule by a couple weeks, and then if things go well, you've got hot product sitting in warehouses, just waiting for the calendar to change, which is everyone's nightmare.

The only thing Apple has done wrong in this case is take advantage of the fact that they never announced a hard launch date. IMHO, they're hoping that by doing the 'demo, minimum product availability, stock soon' thing, they can avoid the publicity around the complete flop their big launch plan has become.

But really - nobody working in time-sensitive product shipped from China is sleeping much this week.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2008
    And for how many days are factories closed because of the holiday?

When the weather lets up and things normalize is everything going to be then closed as well for the holiday time?
  25. macrumors member

Jun 11, 2007
    they're all against us. be very worried people, they know where you live. or at least they have your shipping address.