Thoughts on xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Hello all, I am in need of your help well...more like your opinion.

I'm thinking of getting a xbox360 this week but I am unsure because I've heard some mixed thoughts. Being an apple "fanboy" geting a 360 is kinda odd, but since I'm getting a wii for sure I would like to have a "next gen" system to play the games that wont be on the wii like the new sonic game thats coming out soon.

so, for all those people who have a 360, is it worth it? I'm not really an avid gamer, I mean not picky on graphics since I still love my original NES, haha.

Also, I was thinkin of getting the core system since I have almost no need for online stuff (im not forkin out more money for xboxlive). So whats better the core system or the premium system? Is getting the core a doomed move like what the cheaper ps3 console is?

Anyway, thanks for all your help!!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why would being an apple fanboy put you off a 360?

From a design point it's a nice looking white console, not unlike Apple
    It uses an offshoot of the G5 processor - triple core (apple only managed 2)

Hey and if you hate M$ - rest assured for every 360 being sold they lose money - so by buying a 360 your taking money out of the M$ exchange :D :p

But in all seriousness,

I love my 360, and now is no better time. With so many great games released, and a heap of triple A titles to come in the next couple of months its a great machine.

Yes it has had some hardware problems on a number of consoles, but M$ replaces or repairs them without too much issue.

Get the Premium over the Core, even if you dont plan to go on live now, you may be tempted when you get it. Remember you automatically get a free silver membership giving you access to demos and trailers, and its a great service for making sure you dont blow money on a game without trying it.

Memory cards are expensive, and if you decide to purchase a wireless controller your spending more money.

At 100 more it's a lot - but 100% worth the extra cost. It will cost you far more to add these things at a later date and then you will be kicking yourself.

3. LastLine macrumors 65816

My two cents coming from the same position you seem to be...

First off - well worth the money - I wasn't much of a gamer before (the odd RPG game here and there, the odd shooter on my PeeCee) but it's turned me into one - get it if you fancy it, you'll not regret.

Right now to the meat of the question? Core or premium? Answer these questions and see which answer you get most. If you answer yes most get the premium.

Do you own a HDTV? (Only the premium comes with HD AV Cables - additional purchase for the core)

Do you want to play old Xbox games? (the hard drive, or at least a memory card is required for backwards compatability)

Would you like to take advantage of downloadable content such as the Xbox Live Arcade (think like Nintendos Virtual Console idea - or at least similar), or expansion packs for games like Ghost Recon? (Hard disk required for storage space)

They're the ones that come to me off hand - but my two cents is get the premium - it's worht the difference long term, if you can afford it short term. Only thing I'd say with the premium is get a play and charge kit for your controller - means that you can charge your wireless controller up while using it when it goes flat - nice bonus.

EDIT: Get one of those silly little LCD screens every console have come out for them and you've got a Powerbook G5 :p

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Haven't you all heard? The iPod now comes with games. All other gaming consoles are now obsolete! :rolleyes:

All hail Apple.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

agreed with what MRU said. Premium is the only way to go. The core pack is M$'s way of trying to regain some of the money they lose on each console by selling you everything later at an inflated price.

The game library for 360 is still young and in my opinion, still isn't very good. Sure it has some good games but the majority of them are just version 1.5 games from xbox. That, however, is changing. The new Splinter Cell, Gears of War, Rainbow 6, are coming soon and look to really be 'next gen'. Some games already released to look into are Call of Duty 2, Dead Rising, Saints Row (although I personally hate it), GRAW, and Obilivion.

I have had my 360 since launch last November and I have enojoyed it. I dont play online either and unfortunately that is the biggest push from MS. The thrill of it wore off much faster than any console I have had before but hopefully the newer games will keep it from collecting dust :p

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My go!

Bad value for money. For what you are getting with the Core package - it should be 1/4 cheaper (£150) and the Premium to be £200. I mean at the end of the day the 360 is just -

3 PPC CPU's
    a graphics card
    a DVD-rom
    20gb HDD

I think it's the plain old DVD drive and little HDD that make it sound like it should be cheaper. Does not feel like good value for money.
    No streaming from a Mac? huge, huge negative to me. the dotted backwards compatibility is a let down too.

It's a miss for me now. I do plan on buying one though, eventually.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It's definitely worth it......but Xbox Live is one of the reasons why. I also like being able to link my Mac (iTunes, iPhoto) with it via Connect360 ($20) and listen to music or look at photos through my network. It would be nice if I could also watch videos that way....but maybe in time. Memory cards are expensive so it's almost the same price to get the premium with a 20GB hard drive and wireless controller (just a little more than the core without the hard drive and with a wired controller plus memory card to save games). It definitely looks good with all of my electronics near my TV (alot better than the original Xbox.

8. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Don't know if that's of any importance to you, but Microsoft is about to provide a development kit for non-commercial users ($99 bucks a year), so you can even program that thing... I for one will try to convince my PhD supervisor to get a few of those things as number crunchers.. ;-)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought it was free! Bloody hell. $99 a year? You could buy Multimedia Fusion 2 for that (what I made Satan Sam with) with no subscription. then again what should I have expected from MS :rolleyes:

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I love my 360, not much more to say about it. :)

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dude just get yourself the xbox360...its really powerful with good games with more to come.

Can we make one of these :should I get an xbox360,Wii,DS,PSP thread a sticky and just write YES YOU SHOULD in it....:)

Bless

12. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

yes. get it. I bought a 360 on a whim and it has been one of the most pleasurable game consoles I have owned. I love it and think that the Live interface is really slick. definitely do it.

13. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Why not rent it or (doubt it) borrow a friend's XBOX 360...???

I bought it during launch...I can't believed I fell into the hype and lined up, twice around 4-5 am...!!! LOL :( The ONLY game I cared for was CALL of DUTY 2 (sickest game I ever played)...my brother has it upstairs and we rarely use it...!!!

It's almost a year and looking at the past/upcoming releases...guess what...the only game I'm looking forward to is CALL of DUTY 3...!!!

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

ITS FREE! But.. by paying $99 it allows you to upload them and share them with the whole xbox live community. $99 is cheap - tell me where you get access to 3 -4 million TV sets for such a small distribution fee?

15. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Connect 360 will let you stream your photos, videos, and music from your mac to your 360 :)

i have mine working on my 46" DLP

Edit: looks like jovian beat me to it...

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Not to nit-pick, but Conenct 360 does not allow transfer of videos...

And yes, despite being on my 3rd 360 (2 replacements), I have to say that the 360 is a great console. Dead Rising is worth the money alone, not to mention COD2, DOA4, GRAW, and a few others, LOST PLANET will becoming out this winter, and I'm pretty convinced it will spank Halo 3.

17. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

i am buying the xbox 360 when the new version comes out with the hd-dvd inside it. hope they upgrade the picture quality from 720P to 1080P for this

yes i already have the PS3 on preorder direct from sony

18. dwishbone macrumors regular

i have a 360. good system but most of the games are pretty boring honestly. i get alot more enjoyment out of XBL than I do most of its games. only things i ever play on it are Lego Star Wars 2 and Dead Rising. occasionally i play Battlefield 2 with some of my friends. great system but just so so games.
    really looking forward to the Nintendo Wii. games look really fun. innovative controls. download classic games from nintendo, sega, and hudson's library. cheap. free online play. greatness.
    PS3...dont make me laugh. heard it was actually made by Infinium Labs lol
    but seriously...not interested.
    Wii60 all the way next gen.

19. achie25 macrumors 6502

You can pre-order a PS3 already? Is sony the only pre-order available?

I Don't have an 360 even though I have come close to buying one a few times. My buddy has one and it is awesome. I really like Fight Night 3 on it. Unreal! Also Madden looks sweet as well.

I am waiting for the PS3 just because I have always had a playstation and have good experiences with it and I have many games that would play on the PS3 due to being backwards compatible. The 360 is tempting but I will wait. If I bought both I think my wife would divorce me :eek:

20. dwishbone macrumors regular

instead of a Wii60 you can get a WiiS3 hehe

21. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help...

I went today to trade in some things but im a little shy of getting the premium and a game. SO, in light of the wii announcements I think I'm gonna stick with just the wii right now and wait tiil the 360 goes down in price.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, why didn't you say so? Just go buy both then! :D

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

maybe he likes getting some action at night.... oh.. wait... he's married....nm! :D

24. coal macrumors regular

coal

Buy it.

New games are coming out this autumn that look amazing, plus if you shop around, the premium console can be had for $350 USD (Overstock, Compusa, et cetera).

The PS3 looks good too, but you'll either have to pay three times the cost of the Xbox 360 or engage in some sort of thievery if you want to obtain one prior to next spring.

Also, the Wii is being released much later than anticipated (even after Gears of War is released) at a bit higher price than excpected. Still looks like fun, but even at $249.99, you can add it to the Xbox 360 for the same price as the premium PS3.

Xbox 360 really seems like the best value right now as the games are starting to come into their second generation and released at a much quicker rate along with the refined Xbox Live.

Also, if you have an Intel Mac or an old PC lying around, you can convert that into a Media Center that works with the Xbox to stream content (including HD.) I have a hard drive now that I just stream movies from using freeware and a bit of configuration.

Good luck with your purchase, you won't regret it!

25. Oofie macrumors regular

Im also contemplating if I should buy an xbox 360. I heard that the rockstar table tennis game rocks. Anyone here know of good hookups? Im having a hard time parting with $400 plus another 50-120 for games.