THPS4 on PB 12in?

Discussion in 'Games' started by _pb_boi, Apr 17, 2004.

1. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Hey,

I've got THPS4 for my PB 12in. I love the game for PS2, so got it for Mac also, mainly so I can play HORSE with my bro.

But - even at 640x480, with distance fog on and other options all turned off, there is noticable lag. It decreases, but is still present.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=420

This reviewer said it played fine on his 800MHz iBook - has anyone any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated :)

andy

2. applekid macrumors 68020

How much RAM and what kind of graphics card and what OS version?

Panther gave a noticeable speed boost, but even on my G4 iMac (768 MB RAM, GeForce4MX, 10.3.3), it's quite choppy and not exactly playable.

My friend's Dell has a GeForceFX 5200 and by comparison, that runs the game perfectly fine. The iBook most likely has a Radeon Mobility 9200 and those iBooks featured a demo or full version of THPS4 for obvious reasons. I find it odd how that iMac with 700 MHz is playing it problem-free according to that one person's review.

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

bump up your ram the reviewer was probably using 640 mb ram

so getting another 512 stick in their will really increase performance

4. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200. At first I was confused as to why the iBook would come with a full version - then I realised that yep, the iBooks card is better isn't it?

Oh, and my Powerbook is still 256mb RAM - I know I need to upgrade that, but I think I'll do it in a couple months, once I've got some more money :)

Thanks again!

andy

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Andy,

Update to 10.3.3 which contains newer video card drivers and graphics improvements.
    If there are any game updates, apply them.

Also, many games run better at the native resolution so try upping it to 1024x768. If you don't notice any difference you might as well leave it because it's not a performance drop and you're seeing more detail!

AppleMatt

6. applekid macrumors 68020

That is quite true. There are a few odd ball games out there that play better at higher resolutions than others.

Perhaps I'll have to boot up THPS4 again. ;)

7. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Yeah, if the performance is a result of the CPU then you can crank detail settings up. It will still be choppy but it will also be prettier.

Some people have different ideas regarding what is 'smooth' and what isn't. Your perception of it is probably closer to mine. I played THPS4 on an iBook at my Mac dealer and I was embarrassed that Apple would put this on a computer. It was horrible. Not even remotely playable.

8. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I have it on my G4 900MHz iBook and my thoughts were the same: Why would Apple ship it when it plays so badly....

9. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated :)

I'll apply the new 10.3.3 version, and take all your advice into consideration. Also; the game plays just the same at 1024*768 - so you guys are right :)

andy