THPS4 preinnstalled on new iBook, but not on new PB?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Legacy of Pain, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Legacy of Pain macrumors newbie

I was reading the press releases for the new iBooks and PB's, and I noticed this:
    "iBook G4 also comes with a collection of productivity and entertainment titles including AppleWorks, Quicken 2004 for Mac, WorldBook Encyclopedia 2004 Edition and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4."

In the press release for the PB's I found nothing. Then I checked the Tech Specs for both the iBook and PB on Apples website.

Powerbook:
    Mail, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband and iDVD), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Classic environment, Acrobat Reader, Art Directors Toolkit, EarthLink TotalAccess (includes 30 days of free dial-up service with Earthlink activation), FileMaker Pro Trial, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, Zinio Reader, Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test

iBook:
    All models include Mac OS X, Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Microsoft Internet Explorer, EarthLink (includes 30 days of free dial-up service with activation), Quicken 2004 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising, Sound Studio, Zinio Reader, Apple Hardware Test

Does this mean THPS4 and Deimos Rising only comes with the iBooks? I'm maybe getting a new PB, and I sure would like to get THPS as well.

2. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Wouldn't be surprised. The Powerbook is for professionals and the iBook is for consumers, or so Apple has always said. AppleWorks has never come pre-installed on the Powerbook... always came on iMacs and iBooks, but not on Powermacs or Powerbooks. Because it was for consumers, and professionals use Office. That's Apple's reasoning, anyway.

3. Legacy of Pain thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm.. I haven't noticed that before. Thanks for making me aware, though.

If the PB's, which are better suited for games, don't get any pre-installed I find that too bad... I'd really like to get THPS4 along with one of the new PB's..

4. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Nny has it exactly right - the iBook is for the home user, who values playing games. Mainly college students et al - people who want something to relax with in their downtime :)

That said, I have THPS4 for my Powerbook - only $20 now :)

andy

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Irritating, because that means that the consumer machines can do WP out of the box, whereas the Pros have to use TextEdit. Back when I got my Cube I was unhappy with its very skimpy software bundle. (edit) My G5 didn't come with Deimos or Tony Hawk either.

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i think i'll let the irony speak for itself, what with all the talk about how you don't get macs for gaming because the systems aren't tuned for it/the good games take too long or are never ported.