Thread navigation suggestion

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yippy, Aug 23, 2005.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If this exists, I can't find it.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a "Jump to page" option when viewing a thread. Only being able to jump forward or back 2 pages is almost useless on large threads and I haven't found the "View first unread post" to be that reliable with my viewing habits.

Just a thought.

2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Go to any page but the first, then in the address bar of your browser at the end of the URL will be a page=#. Change the number to whatever you want. Works just like a "jump to page" feature.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yep that is how you can do it, i believe you can possibly add in a java drop down, which would probably get ridiculous for some of the threads here

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm missing the point. I don't understand why you want to go to a particular page number, other than the first, last, previous, or next one. If you are page 37 of 150, why would you have a sudden urge to be on page 72 by number?

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Because you know that last time you read that particular thread, it was on page 40. It's now on page 80. You've visited the site since then but not read that thread so the last unread takes you to page 70. Or you clicked on the last page and now it thinks you've read the intervening. I can see it being useful occasionally.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Ah, then the real problem isn't the lack of page number links. The problem is people doing other activities, such as eating, sleeping, going to work, venturing outdoors without their computer, or having any other form of a real life. If you missed 40 pages of posts, shame on you for being out of touch with MacRumors so long! :)

More seriously, I have seen shopping sites (which can have the same problem with long lists of page numbers in search results) where they offer you first, last, next, previous, plus the multiples of 10, so you see something like this:

1 2 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 | 60 | 70 | 80 | 86 87

which I think is a good compromise.

8. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Thanks for that tip, although that is not very obvious or convenient but will work for now.

Doctor Q, your idea would be a good one, just allows you to navigate faster on big threads.

Another reason for it is when something is mentioned or you remember something from earlier in the thread and you want to go back and look at it.

9. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Thanks for that tip it just made my life a little easyer :cool:

10. mac-er macrumors 65816

I wish it would remember where you left off in a thread, and return to that page when you click back into the thread.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you click back into the front page of a thread and then click on the 'View First Unread' option above the first post, you'll get this effect. My problem is that I often click on the last page and wipe out that history...

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I was was wondering if it's possible to move threads (originally created by members) that get linked from the MacRumors home page to the Mac Rumors News Discussion forum?

Some members visit the MRND forum listing to see list of stories, and may not be actually visiting the home page so they're missing out on some of the promoted Page 1 news and rumors.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good idea. We tried it.

14. thomasp macrumors 6502a

You can jump to any page you want.

Next to the page numbers, you'll see a little downwards-pointing arrow. Click that and you get a box come up saying "Go to page" - type in the page number and click "Go"

15. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Yea I found that, I am pretty sure that wasn't there before. Guess someone listened (or came up with the idea themselves but I like to think it was me:p).

16. thomasp macrumors 6502a

It's been there since the forum upgraded to vB3.5 :)

17. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I wish the search forums tool worked better. Right now it only gives exact matches. I wish it were a bit more intuitive search engine

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can always try edesignuk's MRoogle

19. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Wow, this rocks. Thanks for posting the link. And thanks to edesignuk for the effort!