Thread Reply feedback

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Josh, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I've posted about this before a long time ago, but not much was said.

In every other VBulletin forum out there, the thread icon changes when a post is made to let the member know that this is a thread they have posted in.

For some reason, my favorite VBulletin forum out there (MR!), this does not happen.

See example below (red arrow points to the icon I'm talking about):
    [​IMG]

Perhaps when this skin was created, this icon (which is a VB default) did not get uploaded? (For example, the typical icon names are: thread.gif, thread_hot.gif, thread_dot.gif, thread_dot_hot.gif) The *_dot signifies the one with the little white arrow, and I'm guessing this skin is missing those icons.

It is a really helpful thing making it very easy to find threads you are participating in.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is there a petition to sign? I reckon that looks like a really cool feature. :)

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Nice little extra - maybe Arn will do it for us ?

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

You know about the blue checkbox to the right of the subject that tells you the same thing, right? (not on a Mac, can't be arsed to deal with windows screenshots)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Doesn't that just show which ones haven't been read? :confused:

6. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

The only check boxes are for "Go to First New Post" and "Go to Last Post".

This indicates a thread that YOU have replied in, so you can easily see which threads you are participating at a quick glance.

It's not an extra feature, or something special that has to be added in. This is the default behavior of VBulletin, which for some reason this site does not do.

7. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

That doesn't mean you've posted in it, I'm sure it just means you've read it all.

Anyway, back to the main post, I think that it is a cool feature, and would love to see it on MR.

::20ROGERSC::

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I know what you mean, but the functionality is there. Go, for instance, to "new posts." You will see this thread. The icon on the left, then the subject with your username below. on the far right of that column (Thread/Thread starter) you'll see a blue checkbox. This indicates what you want indicated.

EDIT:
    Oh. My bad. I take it all back.

9. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

OK. After playing with it some, I'm taking my foot out of my mouth and standing my ground. The blue checkbox indicates thread subscription. If you've replyed, you're subscribed.

10. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Here is a shot:
    [​IMG]

This thread is the only one of all of those that I have even viewed. NOTHING there indicates that I have posted in it. Those blue checkboxes are for what is stated above, not to indicate you've posted.

A subscription is not the same as replying, as I can subscribe to a thread that I have not posted in.

Again: This is not a new suggestion or something. This is what - by default - this forum software is supposed to do. For some reason at MR, it's not doing it.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes, you can set up your user preferences to automatically subscribe you to threads you have replied to. Then you can just click on Uses CP on that menu bar and it will show you a list of the threads (you've subscribed to) that you haven't read (in bold font) and those you have already read the latest post in.

Likewise, if you look under "New Posts" the threads you have subscribed to will appear in the same manner as in the User CP (if you don't like looking from there).

12. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

So has any mods/admins seen this thread yet?

I don't want it to just quietly die off like the last one. It's such a big help to have this working and would make things really easy for people. Going from websites where this works, then to MR is frustrating. The difference is night and day.

Shouldn't be hard to get working at all (it's puzzling that it isn't working as it is) - in fact, I'd be willing to help should it be needed.

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The mods can't do anything about such matters, PM Arn or Mudbug, the Gods, if you want to formally propose the change.