Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
whocares said:
That's touché. ;) :)

I hate anything Official™ stamped.
The [insert month here] Desktop threads are really starting to annoy me. It's not that I disagree with the concept, but every single month? Let's do them every other month to get you guys un-addicted...

I don't mind them to a point, what I does bug me is that people in australia or new zealand seem to be just chomping at the bit for the stroke of midnight to be the first poster.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
whocares said:
That's touché. ;) :)

I hate anything Official™ stamped.
The [insert month here] Desktop threads are really starting to annoy me. It's not that I disagree with the concept, but every single month? Let's do them every other month to get you guys un-addicted...

I don't mind the desktop threads; often there are some really neat ones that I wouldn't mind getting. I think that if you are going to post to them however, you should automatically include the link to the picture (if you have it) and any mods or programmes that you have purposely showing. You know people are going to ask anyway...

Applespider

macrumors G4
whocares said:
The [insert month here] Desktop threads are really starting to annoy me. It's not that I disagree with the concept, but every single month?

It's those who say 'Still the same picture as last month' or 'I got this one last month off the Desktop thread' - then why put it up again? We've seen it and admired it as a desktop image - let new images have some breathing room.

And it's not the Aussies/Kiwis being first in that thread that gets me; it's those in the US trying to preempt them even before it strikes midnight in Auckland.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
"iBook VS MacBook Pro"

"Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....!!!!!!"

As for the monthly desktop threads... I'd be nice if they actually started on the 1st of every month, and not 2-3 days before... :rolleyes:

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
Applespider said:
It's those who say 'Still the same picture as last month' or 'I got this one last month off the Desktop thread' - then why put it up again? We've seen it and admired it as a desktop image - let new images have some breathing room.

And it's not the Aussies/Kiwis being first in that thread that gets me; it's those in the US trying to preempt them even before it strikes midnight in Auckland.

So I take it there is this competition over who is the first to post their new desktop?

Probably a good thing I never read those threads.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Applespider said:

in that case it's even more annoying than I thought :rolleyes:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
"Should I get <desktop mac> or <notebook mac>?"
duh, does it need to be portable?

"Should I get <PC> or <Mac>?"
this is a mac forum, what do you think were going to say?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
chaos86 said:
"Should I get <PC> or <Mac>?"
this is a mac forum, what do you think were going to say?

Ugggh those are so annoying. If you want an honest answer you don't come to a place called MacRumors! When making that kind of decision you want an unbiased answer, and we are not going to give it to them. :p

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
leftbanke7 said:
Exactly except we'd have to put in a few MR specific things like:
- It's Mac, not MAC
- Don't ask about where to download illegal stuff
- The 100 post rule for the Marketplace
And most importantly
- Don't piss off anybody whose name has a Demi-God/Demi-Goddess next to it
Ooh...me likes!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
leftbanke7 said:
Exactly except we'd have to put in a few MR specific things like:
- It's Mac, not MAC
- Don't ask about where to download illegal stuff
- The 100 post rule for the Marketplace
And most importantly
- Don't piss off anybody whose name has a Demi-God/Demi-Goddess next to it

I absolutely cannot believe that you didn't throw in "500 posts for an avatar!"

As for threads, I think most of them have been covered already. The ones I don't like the most are the ones that make completely no sense (because the person is psychotic and doesn't know what they're doing, not because someone's English isn't perfect).

I think that the buggy threads come and go by the different products Apple releases (like the iWeb ones...).
-Chasen

P.S. What is up with the user names that are really close to other established ones?!
-Chasen

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The whole Apple, Mac, iPod, OS X discussion thing is really annoying too.

Pointless drivel. Oh ... wait ...

:rolleyes:

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
thedude110 said:
"Need advice on speakers that sound good!"

I posted a thread looking for good compact ipod speakers after searching did me no good whatsoever. The info I got from helpful people in that thread was invaluable. Lighten up.

75% of the people on these forums worry about stupid crap way, way, too much.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't want to see another thread started by Abstract in the Community forum ever again.

Any thread that asks about iBooks vs PowerBooks.

Any thread that asks about iBooks vs PowerBooks, where the thread starter tells us that he has searched through past threads already and says s/he has a unique question, and then follows that up with, "Ok, I'm a student, and I need to be able to surf the web, use Word, check......" :rolleyes:

xsedrinam said:
Contributors are generally a kinder, gentler breed. ;)

What did you have to contribute in order to get "Contributor" status rather than "Demi"???

Oh wait........ewww, sorry man. :(

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
The grammar, punctuation and spelling related threads can become tiresome quickly. If a post does not meet one's level of correctness, it may be best to stay above the fray by refusing to prolong the agony.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
'My Mighty Mouse won't scroll down'. Grrr :mad:

leftbanke7 said:
Maybe one of us needs to come up with some little MacRumors newbie video that is required to be watched by anybody that wants to post. It'll go over all of the stuff in the FAQ that nobody seems to read in the first place. I'm actually bored enough to make it.

We already have the FAQ, but short of going all Clockwork Orange, it may prove difficult to get people to pay attention.

Attachments

• alex-clockwork-orange.jpg
    alex-clockwork-orange.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 72

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
"Can I watch TV on my Mac?" search for it geez

"The Official I just bought a <Mac> thread"
"<Mac>s are shipping!!!!1!!1!"
"<Mac>s are starting to be recieved!!11!!!1!"
"Everyone else is recieving their <Mac> I ordered a month after them , why haven't i got mine yet?"
"Damn apple's shipping system it said 6-8 weeks and it's been 6 weeks and one day!!!"
"<Mac>: first impressions"
"<Mac>, slightly dissapointed :("
come on how many threads do you need

Anything in the marketplace that simply links to an ebay auction

"What font is used in the apple logo?" search for it, use a font identifier, etc etc

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Threads that end in "™"

Oh, wait....I thought this was about threads we DO want to see again...

Hmm... well, in that case... threads that end in "sucks"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.