Threat to kill democratically elected leader

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jul 1, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

There has been an outright threat to assassinate a democratically elected Prime Minister. The argument is that the PM is not doing enough to satisfy the demands of the nations than is threatening him. Did I mention that is the Israeli government and the Palestinian PM?

Read more...

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not surprised. I don't trust Isaac nor Ishmael. 2 sides of the same coin if you ask me. Of course, considering the nut bunnies we have running our gov, we probably can't say much.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Well it's pretty damn obvious that Israel and the U.S. are doing all they can to
    force the Hamas lead government into failure.

So much for spreading freedom and democracy.

I have a strong feeling that something similar will happen in Iraq once we
    finally pull out.

I guess freedom and democracy are only good if the people we want in power are elected in a "fair" election.

Maybe next time Diebold can furnish the voting machines.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Look Hamas was and is a terrorist group. There isnt any reason we should be bankrolling these scumbags just as we shouldnt be giving $$$ to Israel. Cut them both off. Both brothers need to learn to love one another:D

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hmm. Now they've hit the Palestinian PM's office with two missiles. Sounds like terrorism to me.

6. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

This has nothing to do with bankrolling anybody, and everything to do with international norms. It's one thing to go after the head of state during a war or covertly target the head of state for assassination (at the time we aggressively went after Castro, there wasn't really any applicable norm against this). But to directly and admitedly target a democratically elected leader - after people have been encouraged to participate in western-style democracy? Didn't Americans just get in a fuss because non-military were targeted for attack? How does this instill any confidence in the democratic process for Palestinians?

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I agree, we should not have allowed political sponsorship to influence
    one sided support for either Israel or Palestine, but now with the world
    paying close attention, we have most definitely shown where our loyalties
    lie.

Of course, I'm playing armchair quarterback here in the comfort of my home, but given different circumstances, our perspective might be different.

Imagine if you will, going back a few hundred years.

How would you feel if Spain and Portugal or some other powerful nation had decided to fund the Native American Tribes against the English Settlers?

The Native Americans used guerilla warfare fighting the uniformed
    English troops. Did that make the American Indians terrorists?

This brings us to tougher questions.

When you defend your homeland by any means necessary, are you a patriotic freedom fighter or a terrorist?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont see why the World & US dont step in and draw up two states. Minus both Israel & the Palestinians. That would teach both of them.:)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You might get this impression from the article, because it left out some important facts, the most important of which is that Israel cannot currently make any useful distinction between the military and political wings of Hamas, a group which explicitly does not recognize Israel's right to exist. Trying to kill leaders of groups who are trying to destroy you is hardly outside of international norms. Whether these leaders were elected or came to power in another way is quite immaterial.

That being said, the events going down in Gaza recently are deeply depressing to those of us who'd like to believe that eventually, even people who detest and distrust each other, will find a way to coexist peacefully. I suppose we should never underestimate the power of pure rage.