'Three' 3rd gen phones and iSync

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lord_flash, Sep 19, 2003.

1. lord_flash macrumors regular

So, despite my many, many reservations (all of which have been aired here, and met with a mixture of hopelessly bias and genuinely thoughtful responses), I'm pretty much decided on the new PowerBook 15" 1.25GHz as my next computer.

I thought I'd get a .mac account to go with it too, as I have a machine at work and the transfer facilities and the like should be quite handy.

I also have a Sony Ericsson T68i bluetooth phone, which I know iSync likes. But, in the UK, 3rd Gen phones are actually cheaper to own, not to mention faster data rates etc. so, in short, I want to know if my next phone will sync names/numbers etc. with my Mac(s)?

'Three' (the network) are selling NEC phones at the moment, if that helps.

2. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

3. lord_flash thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I found that after I posted. Grrr - hardly supports any phones at all, and definitely not one of the 3rd gen ones. I might have to stick with these boring not-video phones for a while longer :(

Glad to see someone's being patient about the poor supply of G4 1.25MHz machines - personally I had a bit of a sulk when I found that the shop I visited had an inventory count of -5.

No, really. Negative numbers.

4. boskie macrumors regular

I have a "3" phone and yes the prices are good, the service reasonable, however the phone is not (NEC 606) - no bluetooth and not supported by iSync, amogst other service related problems.

However, i'm hanging on to it as in January Sony Ericsson are releasing their 3G phone which should be similar to the P800 and hopefully offer support (and Bluetooth compatibility) with iSync.

Info from The Register

All we can do is wait and see...

5. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

Here in Australia we have 3 as well but yes 3 + Mac = Doom. The e606 DOES have Bluetooth but it's very hard to operate and it's not audio enabled, meaning no handsfree earpieces. Basically iSync has never supported any phone outside of America but it could through persuasion. Also there is no 3G phone like the P800, but even better is the Sony Ericsson Z1010, and as boskie said, it's coming out Q1, 2004. For an even earlier release is the NEC e616 and the Moto A835 slated for the end of this year. 3 Italia have got theirs already. So wait for those phones, and you MIGHT have Mac compatability. And for some reason, 3G is not around in the US yet......

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm not sure how accurate Apple's compatibility list is. For instance, I turned on iCal syncing to my (unsupported) Nokia 7650 phone and it's worked perfectly for me.

By the way, I don't know if you already know this, but a lot of 2.5 G (or whatever we have now) phones are pretty useful, the Nokia can record and send video and audio (playable with QuickTime 6.3 on the Mac) not to mention being very good for games - I've a surprisingly good version of Doom on mine.

AIUI, the main drawbacks with these phones is lack of storage, and slower connection speed.

Mike.