Three alarm clocks in one week!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ejb190, Mar 21, 2003.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

We often overlook the simple things that make our lives tolerable, if not enjoyable. Take my alarm clock, for instance. I liked that alarm clock: AM/FM, two alarms, big display. As surreal as this might sound, I was awaken in the middle of the night by the sounds of sparks. My alarm clock died in a blaze of glory (no fire, just a bit of smoke!).

I went alarm clock shopping this week. Every clock has a different arrangement of buttons. On one there is no reverse, so you have to fast forward 23 hours just to go back one. On another you need to be a finger contortionist to set the alarm with one hand. Many have really tiny buttons or to be set have to have the a switch set in the right position. Why hasn't anyone put a simple to set numeric keypad on a clock?

So I throw away old faithful and replace it with a sleek new clock with a few more gadgets than I need. Without too much trouble I set it at 10:10 last night and went to bed. This morning I woke up to find the clock STILL said 10:10. After reading a manual that was printed in 4 point font so they could get 9 languages on one sheet of paper I find that I followed the directions exactly. Turns out I bought a clock that won't count. So another trip to the store!

Sorry to rant... It's been a long week.

Edit - forgot to check my spelling!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with an alarm clock! It's a very necessary item afterall. Keep us up to date on your search. Post pictures is possible! ;)

3. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i am still using the same alarm clock i bought in 1986. the analog knob that tunes the radio is broken, and it is stuck on AM, and there's no "hour/minute" set buttons, just "fast/slow", and there's a crack down the front from when i threw something (i believe a tevin campbel cassette) at it in 1990, and the volume only works in terms of loud and off and the power goes off in my neighborhood quite often and there's no battery reserve so one morning out of three i don't wake up on time, but you know what? i wouldn't trade it for the world.

now i just use my cell phone.;)

good luck finding a replacement.

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I think i've got 1986 beat. Goes back longer thatn I can remember, but certainly older than 1982. Big digital display, two alarms, fast and slow clock, am/fm. They haven't made any system upgrades to Time, so why change (unless it catches on fire, I guess.)

5. sspitsbergen macrumors newbie

Alarm clocks

Hey, I know this is slightly off topic, but I have a problem with my alarm clocks, I ignore them. How can I turn my iMac into an alarm clock. I want my mac to wake up and play a loud tune until I come and turn it off.

Does anyone know of a program that would help me do that?

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

search for alarm clocks on versiontracker.com

i'm sure you'll find something.

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Foxer

Hi again - we seem to travel similar paths.

I think I might meet you in clock radio oldness.

I have a LLoyd's Clock radio with red LED numbers and snazzy wood grain finish. Oh, and a hellacious alarm (that's why I still have it).

I don't know the precise date I got it, but I do remember listening to the debut of "Another One Bites the Dust" and "Thriller", as well as a sh**load of Hall & Oates on it at night.

For fellow Chicagoans: back when B96 played this stuff! :eek:

8. sspitsbergen macrumors newbie

thanks for the help

Wdlove and jelloshot - thanks for the advice.

biggles

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't know about y'all but no alarm clocks can wake me up!

I had this really annoying, LOUD one, and it would wake everyone
    else in the house up, but not me, and it was on my bed side table,
    (ie right next to my head). And the ones that are out today, some
    would HELP me sleep. THey are so quiet, and melodious.

I need one that sounds like explosions going off in my room. :p

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Man, sorry about your clock, that is an issue to think about, not like the e-mail I got 3 days ago of a man that told me to get a gun because he want to resolve our political discussion that way.

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-scem0

I actually can, and have, arranged that. ;)

Funny story:

Back in my college days, one of the fellows in my fraternity house, would snooze his alarm, and leave for class - so the alarm would go off all day.

So, using some #0000 Steel wool, a tiny Radio Shack relay and an M-80, I rigged his alarm circuit.

Next day, I got up 5 minutes before his alarm, and cracked my door.

<beep-beep-beeBANG!><crash, tinkle-tinkle>

With smoking hand, he appeared walking down the hall - with asleepy, but confused look on his face.

BTW- later, we got a look at the carnage. Al that was left on the surface he had the alarm clock on was a clean square, surrounded by scorch marks.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How about using a small amount of c4 with a timer?? Just set it before you go to bed for how many hours you give youself to sleep and BAM!!! you wake up with a bang... heh... then again, if you use too much c4, or have it too close to your head, you won't ever wake up again... heh

Sounds like a win, win situation to me :eek: :eek: :D

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

lol - I didn't actually mean explosions ;)! Maybe I could have an
    alarm clock that moves something so fast that it creates a sonic
    boom. That might wake me up.... and no explosions. :D

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You should live in the space shuttle re-entry path as I do. It wakes you up at 2:30 a.m. regardless, seemingly twisting the house about as it goes by.

Here's my ultimate clock radio, though it's a little more than high-priced for just AM-FM and alarm:

Attached Files:

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sorry to hear about your situation scem0. I would think it is a matter of training.

My problem was that I would turn off the alarm prior to getting up. Some times I would fall back asleep. The solution was to train myself to getup before I turned off the alarm. The solution has been successful! ;)

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm just very good at ignoring things when I sleep. I can sleep
    basically anywhere :D :D. Maybe an alarm clock which tickled me.
    I am ticklish. :rolleyes: :D

17. vniow macrumors G4

Now that's a disturbing thought.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Could you have your Mom wake you up? It was easy for my Mom to wake me up, but sometimes I liked to play possum! ;)

Don't feel bad scem0, I think most people are ticklish if they will admit that. I happen to be ticklish also! ;)

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't quite sleep through alarm clocks, exactly-- i sleepwalk through them. i can turn an alarm off anywhere in the room (i had moved it to try and solve the problem) and go back to bed without ever waking up.

and if someone tries to wake me, i have been known to sleephit people...

it only happens when i'm *really* overtired tho-- like only getting 4-5 hours of sleep several nights in a row. i just don't do that anymore :)

pnw

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I do the same thing. My mom wakes me up for school every
    morning about 4 times. I don't remember though. I only sort
    of remember waking up the last time. But she will wake me
    up and I will get out of bed, and then when she leaves I will
    get back in bed, all while asleep. Not fully asleep, but almost.

21. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

You guys want a shure-fire alarm clock, guaranteed to wake your ass up?

Have a child, they do an incredible job of wakeing you up for around 5-7 years, after that the roles reverse tho. My wife and I have a four year old, and every morning like clock work, he is up running around ,screaming at the top of his lungs. If that doesnt work, he proceeds to jump up and down on our bed.

Two bad points though.

1. They cost a whole hellva lot more than that Bose radio, and dont come with a remote.

2. After a night of heavy drinking, you cant just pick it up and throw it aginst the wall to acheive that oh so satisfying, breaking sound. OBVIOUSLY.;)

22. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

The solution is to get a hydraulic lift on a timer. After 3 snoozes, the lift kicks in.

Put hinges on the foot of your bed, and you'll be upright and standing on time.

I'm such a horrible night owl, that I've often contemplated Rube Goldberg like setups.

I also got the *&%& beat out of me once when I threw the alarm clock out the window, and on to a large angry man's head.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

A Rube Golburg setup could be really cool......

the possibilities...

;)

24. daniel77 macrumors 6502

RTFLMAO! :D