Three-Eyed, Double-Mouthed Calf In Good Health

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Apr 24, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

wdlove

Newborn's Extra Parts Reportedly Work

GRAND SALINE, Texas -- A calf born in an east Texas town, about 60 miles east of Dallas, is thriving despite its two mouths and three eyes.

According to owner Virginia Hale, the light red female calf "Unique" was born in a pasture on April 12.

Hale said the 57-pound calf is friendly, likes to drink milk from its mother and enjoys lapping up water by using both tongues.

http://www.local6.com/news/3027077/detail.html

2. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

I didn't see it in the article but I wonder if it can see out of the third eye or if he's Third Eye Blind...

3. macrumors 6502a

crenz

This is quite weird... I'm curious to see how long it will survive.

I once read that deformations even in human babies are not so uncommon as one might think, but that doctors can fix a lot of them.

4. macrumors 601

stoid

Whoa! Freaky!

If the eye does work, can it see a new dimension of space?

One eye = Two dimensions
    Two eyes = Three dimensions
    Three eyes = Four dimensions?

Although, zero eyes equals zero dimensions, not one, so maybe not. :p

5. macrumors 68020

6. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Maybe they didn't need to send that crazy-expensive satellite into space to test the theory of relativity, this calf could have looked and told us if there was a curve in the time space continuum because of the Earth's gravity!

7. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I wonder if the calf plays/interacts well w/the rest of the herd or if it's being ostracized.

Lethal

8. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Whoa that so weird, I have seen two headed turtles but this is weird. What next?

9. thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

It doesn't really say in the article, except this: "During that visit, the vet gave the calf a shot of antibiotics and said the animal is otherwise healthy, Hale said."

I'm not sure why, but this makes me so sad. I just hate to see anything suffer. It is an abnormality. I just feel so sad and sorry. :( :(

10. macrumors regular

It's very cute. I want one as a pet, extra eyes and mouths or not, makes no difference to me. :p

11. macrumors 6502

12. macrumors 6502

coming soon to a hot dog near you

i wonder if the extra lips would change the flavor?

13. macrumors 65816

oldschool

more juicy

14. macrumors 65816

oldschool

and people wonder why we have antibiotic resistance. Routine antibiotic treatment for livestock.

15. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    too bad it doest have extra legs then you could get much more meat from it

16. macrumors 6502

Or why little girls now have their period at age 9. Growth hormones anyone? Why the hell else is this cow so mutated?

17. macrumors 6502

I think it is a variation of a conjoined twin, just very conjoined. So probably not mutated. But antibiotics/pesticides/growth hormones are all floating around and are not good.

It is abnormal. But maybe it is happy, and not suffering. It has a mother, and milk, and is being taken care of. I hope it is not "put on display" for people to gawk at, but otherwise it may live to gambol in the fields and be happy as a can be. Will probably feel lucky... they may not send it to be slaughtered because it is different!

18. macrumors 6502

Hey!...I never said the second quote! How'd that happen?!

19. macrumors 6502

Just the usual copying quote tags problem. You try to be a good citizen and quote multiple things in one post, but then forget to make the proper attributions. Sorry.

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, you would get two tongues - so it could be good for the beef tongue industry :D

Weird stuff, though - would be really freaky to see it as an adult...

D

21. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

You can still sense time, which is a dimension without an eye. But that then doesn't get accounted for in the others.

22. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'd guess that health restrictions might prevent Unique from being made into food for human consumption, or from being used as breeding stock. So it's up to her owner whether or not she gets to live out her existence gamboling in fields or anything...depends on the expense of keeping her, I would guess.

Kinda looks like that second mouth isn't quite fully formed, though. I wonder if that'll cause problems later.

23. iPC
    macrumors 6502

iPC

With one eye you can see three dimensions. Think about it. If you can't figure it out, cover one of your eyes (either one will be fine - assuming both work) for a while and see what happens.
    :rolleyes:

24. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

25. macrumors regular

I think you can only IMAGINE that you're seeing three dimensions with one eye... the image is two-dimensional, the only way to really measure depth is in the combination of two 2-dimensional images from different vantage-points. The rest is just the brain, using its training in extrapolating the LIKELY third dimension. And memory, I suppose -- since you're taking about 50-60 2-dimensional images per eye per second so movement of your head lets you see that third dimension... wow I can't believe I'm posting that!

As for the cow, it almost CERTIAINLY sees a dimension we cannot :D Perhaps she is "the one", who will lead the revolt against humans.... ;)