Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I can guess we'll these new models in 2007:

1) 3G nano with up to 20 GB of flash memory, but using the same form factor as the current model.

I don't see the next gen shuffle getting such a huge jump in capacity. I'd say 16GB at MOST, though maybe just 12.

2) 6G "conventional" iPod with 40 and 80 GB hard drives about the same size as the current 5.5G iPods. They will use the new touchscreen interface with a larger LCD display so you can watch videos clearly.

3) A true "video" iPod with 80 and 120 GB hard drives in a device about the size of unit designed to Microsoft Oragami specs (e.g., Samsung Q1 series) with a large screen and that new touch-screen interface. Unlike other new-generation iPods this new iPod will sport an IEEE-1394 interface for faster video transfer to device from desktop/laptop computer.

"Conventional" and "true video" versions both with 80GB? Who would buy the conventional one? Yeah, there might be a price difference for the bigger screen, but I think everyone would just opt for that. If they keep the conventional smaller sceen version around (for people who want more music plus the occassional TV show), expect to see a bigger space capacity difference between it and the true video version (targeted towards movie watchers, with a larger capacity model only).

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I don't get all the noise about the 16GB flash video iPod. It won't be anything special, just a 16GB Nano (the next obvious progression) that will be enhanced to also play video (which was pointless previously because of the small capacity flash). With 16GB you can carry around a couple of movies without having to delete most of your music collection.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I don't get all the noise about the 16GB flash video iPod. It won't be anything special, just a 16GB Nano (the next obvious progression) that will be enhanced to also play video (which was pointless previously because of the small capacity flash). With 16GB you can carry around a couple of movies without having to delete most of your music collection.

It implies a new form factor though. I mean, the nano's screen is just too small to view video on.

How about this, though:

A full-screen vPod with 16 GB flash storage. It would have the same relationship to the bigger hard-drive based vPod as the nano has to the full-size iPod. Both would have the touch-sensitive bezel that actually allows it to be full-screen. I picture it about the size of 4 or 5 credit-cards stacked on top of each other. Such a tiny size in a video player could be the "wow" factor that drives vPod sales and makes the iTunes movie/tv show store really take off (to an order of magnitude greater degree than the current moderately successful level).

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The true video iPod will come with a built-in projector (that uses laser diodes) that allows it to play movies by projecting it onto any large, bright surface. The technology for such ultraportable projectors exist, so even though it's not commercially available for another 2 years, I think we're going to see it very soon in iPods. :)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I see Apple releasing higher capacity nanos, the new iPod full screen, and iPhone.

So I thought the three models were obvious.

-=|Mgkwho

Yes... I can't see them replacing the nano for something completely new, as it's doing so well as it is. Although I guess, no one expected the mini to be dropped, and that was doing well too.

Trouble is, where does the shuffle fit into that roadmap, seeing as it is doing so well.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
**************************** I M P O R T A N T A N N O U N C E M E N T ************************************

iTunes will be closed from 12/25-1/2.

that's the EU Store -

I wonder what they're up to?

moviestore/iPhone/...we'll know soon I guess

dang that is big. you got a link to that?

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
I'm so glad I held off on buying a new iPod. I'll just stick to my 3rd Gen from June 2004 until the next generation come around!

I've been waiting as well, but i've been on my toes for quite a while now, since i cant do much with a partially functioning gen 4 ipod.

all i have now is a borrowed gen 1 shuffle, which really sucks. i cant wait for the true video ipod to come out so i can get rid of this stupid shuffle!

dzire187

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
What I would love to see is an iPod with a wireless unit on board. Those wifi units are being included in cell phones nowadays, so they should be small in size and not be consuming too much power anymore

I can imagine some nice scenarios using wifi-enabled iPods in your home network:

- access your shared library.

- stream music off your iPod to your airport express devices.

- use the iPod as an airtunes device and access it just as you would any other airtunes device straight out of iTunes.

Well, maybe i am the only one who would love to see all that coming. Although i don't think the 3rd scenario is a realisitic one, it would be a shame if the first 2 don't come with the next gen iPods...i'll wait and see.

btw: i don't need any of the video playback capabilities...nice to have, but imho unnecessary...

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
T-Mobile Hotspot integration in new Ipods

I have no clue what the new ipods will look like I have not seen them.....however one of them, will have T-mobile hotspot integration. No, you can not call using your ipod it is for transferring photos/songs/contacts/whatever. I believe though I am not sure that you will have 1 year FREE hotspot access through T-Mobile if you buy a new ipod. I have a feeling though these will be for the larger $399 and up models. Anytime you are near an T-Mobile hotspot you can send your pictures photos etc... to ANY ipod!!!! (though, if you do not have a Hotspot capable ipod you will have to retrieve the messages from itunes and sync to your ipod)

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
I would be happy just to see the more durable aluminum case on the video ipod. I know everyone wants a larger screen, but for me it is very good in it's present form, just too easy to damage.

sumfilipinodude

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2006
I currently own an iPod Mini and i've been wanting a new one but seeing as how the iPod Video is a year or so old, i thought a new iPod should come around the corner soon.

I know the Zune sucks from what i've heard but i do like the way it looks. The screen has backgrounds and there's color everywhere.
I think the plain white iPod background is a bit boring.

So i'd like to see a bigger and more decorative screen. I mean, look at the iPhone. It's freaking gorgeous.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I'm so glad I held off on buying a new iPod. I'll just stick to my 3rd Gen from June 2004 until the next generation come around!

I'm the same way. I have the same iPod, probably bought it the same time (all I remember is that summer), and I would love a new iPod but they have been out for a good amount of time, and I don't NEED it so I figure I'll wait for a new one until we hear of any announcements.

All I know is I wouldn't care for a video iPod since I don't buy movies, just looking for a new music iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.