Three People Sent to Prison in China Over iPad 2 Leaks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 15, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal reports that three people have been sent to prison in China over their roles in facilitating leaks of information on the iPad 2 prior to its release.
    The three people were sentenced to prison terms ranging from 12 to 18 months and are subject to fines ranging from approximately $4,500 to $23,000.

Cases for the iPad 2 began appearing on Chinese supply sites four months ahead of Apple's official unveiling, and it was revealed in late April that three workers had been arrested in connection with the leak soon after those initial cases appeared. The employees cited in that report had been claimed to be Foxconn employees and are presumed to be the same ones sentenced to prison in the new report, although only two of them were actually Foxconn employees while the the third was manager of the case manufacturing company that solicited the information.

Article Link: Three People Sent to Prison in China Over iPad 2 Leaks

2. macrumors 6502a

Do they jail US Apple employees for leaks?

I'd hate to be in a Chinese prison for any duration.

3. macrumors regular

I dont know, but being imprisoned for anything but a violent crime seems overly harsh to me.*

* Of course, this is not the way most governments, including the U.S. government, see it. But I beg to differ.

4. macrumors 68000

wikus

USA still has the death sentence. I'd be very careful with comparisons.

5. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

How about someone like Bernie Madoff who ruins thousands of people's lives by stealing all their retirement money?

6. macrumors regular

Sardonick007

Given a choice between a Chinese prison and death would be a very hard decision in the heat of the moment.

7. macrumors regular

This is gross.

8. macrumors 604

gkarris

Backlight leaks = okay though... :eek:

;)

9. macrumors 6502a

Ooooohhhhhh, controversial. :rolleyes:

I can see this thread turning into a train wreck really quick.

10. macrumors newbie

Honestly, if Apple were really a great company, they'd build their hardware in countries that respect human rights. Yes, it would cost more. Think different.

11. macrumors 68030

Wow they are intense on this stuff.

Going to jail over information/parts from an electrical device. Heck of a way to go out.

12. macrumors member

They would be famous . . .

In the US they would get probation, maybe house arrest for a month if this was their first offense. If they were union employees, no arrests but they would probably get suspended for two months (with pay). :eek:

13. macrumors 6502a

Tucom

That is a bit harsh and the first thought that popped into the mind was: "Is prison in China just a different way of saying they'll never be seen again?"

Seriously though, I hope they're at least still alive by the end of their duration in jail. :eek:

14. macrumors 6502

That is just too extreme in my opinion.

"prison terms ranging from 12 to 18 months and are subject to fines ranging from approximately $4,500 to $23,000."

I cannot imagine these folks being able to come up with the cash to pay their fines if the fine is as much as $23,000.00 US. This is too severe a penalty in my opinion. As someone mentioned earlier, it isn't as though anybody was murdered. I guess this is just the way it is done in China. It is very sad though.

15. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Well, China is a very tough country on laws.

Perhaps they agreed to this when they signed their NDA contract?

16. kps
    macrumors regular

There's gotta be a tasteless joke about organ transplants to be found here.

17. macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have always wished companies would offer two versions. A cheap version to be competetive and a socially conscious green version. Some customers would pay more for a product that was environmentally friendly and socially aware.

Sadly, you would need two versions as some comptitor would just make it in the third world and undersell you.

But Apple has the cachet to pull this off and create some needed jobs and pay in needed areas.

18. macrumors 6502a

Non sequitur. It's a bad comparison for financial crimes. The comparison would properly be between the typical punishment for the same crime.

19. macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Really dude??? Come on man, have a heart! :mad:

:D

20. iCrizzo, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

macrumors regular

This is clearly not something a person should sit in prison for.. so what, they leaked pictures of a tablet computer, I think firing them would probably be harsh enough, maybe even a fine but not prison!

21. macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

The Chinese prison system is very different from what we know.

It is not uncommon to buy your way out. So if you are wealthy you may serve a few days and buy your freedom. For those on the lesser income curve, you may serve an extended sentence until your 'fines' are paid via labor.

Add into the equation about the quality and access to legal representation and th presumption of guilt and ability o procure evidence and you have a very different system.

That said, China has less people in prison per capita than the US, less violent crime per capita and less theft per capita. So something works.

22. macrumors 6502a

That would be a quick way to kill the company. The number of people who will buy based upon the company's principles is far outweighed by those who only look at the price. There have been ample opportunities for people to demonstrate the opposite but it hasn't come true. Whether it's textiles, the Walmart effect, or electronics people want to pay as little as possible.

23. macrumors 6502

Agree completely. I too have brought this up in the past and usually get flamed for it. Add an option on the BTO page for this "other" version and I'll gladly pay $50 more or whatever the amount is (within reason of course).

24. macrumors 6502

Bonch

Now I'm hungry for Chinese food.

25. macrumors 6502a

Depends on how you look at the statistics. I'd wager there is a much higher proportion of people living in unpoliced rural areas in China than in the US. Per capita should be measured by comparable cities not nationally. For anything meaningful, anyway.