Three questions!!! (survey about video games)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by neffedo, Nov 17, 2005.

1. neffedo macrumors member

I'm just doing a research paper on video gaming. Would the members of this awesome forum be willing to help out?

1) Are you a parent?

2) Do you allow your child(ren) to play video games (and follow ESRB ratings)?
    If you're not a parent, would you?

3) Why or why not?

Thanks! :)

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

1) yes

2) yes, my six year old has a Gamecube, and I bought it from someone who gave us six games. I won't let him play the two Teen-rated games.

3) the two games we have aren't so bad graphically, but the language IS bad. I can only imagine what some of the other stuff they put out these days is. I'm not a gamer, but I hear about the graphic content from my youth group kids.

My daughter is 11 and watches MTV, and I don't necessarily approve of everything on there. But she does talk to me about things she sees there, as well as things at school (for the most part).

SO: as parents, my wife and I try to follow most guidelines, but, there are always things we let slide a bit.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

1. no
    2. yea i would allow them to play games approved by myself or my wife...me being the parent is in charge of what my kids play.

Bless

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Ditto
    Hope that helps

5. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

1) No

2) I would if I had kids Id let them play what pertains to their age (13+=Teen)

3)I would set a time restriction so they wouldnt get attached and start failing.

6. neffedo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! I hope more come in. . . for those who aren't parents, do you believe kids should be allowed to play games, and what content should they be allowed to view?

Thanks everyone!

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

1) Nope
    2) I don't have any, if I did would I? (you might want to edit the question if this is what you mean). Yes of course.
    3) It's 2005 video games have been part of my life since the early 80's they are part of geek culture, I love them and my kids can to (if I ever have any).

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

1. No

2. I would let them play the games that I approve. I don't even care about the ratings that much, although I'll use them as a general guideline.

3. I'll let them play video games because I remember having loads of fun as a kid playing my SNES, and so while I may not play video games anymore, I know it's a huge treat for kids to play video games.

9. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

1) Are you a parent?
    No. I'm 15.

My mother buys the games, but she let's me play all the way up to M.

3) Why or why not?
    She knows I'm smart enough not to replicate any violence or language in said games.

10. dansuz1 macrumors member

dansuz1

1) Are you a parent?

Yes. Two children

Yes. Being only three, she plays simple games for young kids.

3) Why or why not?

The games we buy are good for her. They help her learn ABCs, counting and other foundation skills. As she gets older we'll allow her to play games that are age appropriate for her.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) No

2) I would allow any kids I have to play video games. I would not necessarily follow the ESRB.

3) The ratings can be used as part of an informed decision making process but should not be substituted for parental responsibility. It is ultimatly up to a parent to decide what is appropriate for their child.

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

1) Yes I am a parent. Coolest thing EVER.

2) Yes, but no game consoles, only edu computer games and the occasional Monster Inc.-like title for unwinding.

3) Because I get to set the rules!

While I don't see a darned thing WRONG with console and PC games, There is plenty of pretty cool stuff out their that will help them learn, and a lot of time they don't even know it. Take Zamboonies as an example. Teaches logic, and is fun to boot.

13. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm not a parent, but if I had kids I'd let them play age appropriate games. I think the the ESRB or whatever that org. is, is doing a pretty good job of self-regulation in the industry. I think one good aspect of getting your kids hooked on games is that you could use the threat of taking them away to get them to behave. They take away people's cigerettes in mental hospitals for the same purpose-- sometimes I don't think kids are all that different from these patients (esp. kids in puberty). I don't think I'd let them play on Xbox Live or anything like that until they were 17ish, just because of the wide age discrepancy going on there among the participants.

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

1) Not yet.

2) I would definitely let my kids play video games. I own a GameCube, and will own a Revolution when it comes out. So my kids will probably start playing video games on the Revolution or whatever comes out after that. While there are studies that show that video games can harm a child's development, video games improve eye-hand coordination which is essential for other aspects of life. So they would be allowed to play age-appropriate games in moderation. When my son(s) reach about age 14, I would start letting them play the more graphic games, as long as they understood that the events in the video game were fictional and the aggressive actions should be reserved for the game world and not the real world.

3) See #2. Eye-hand coordination development, for one. And that there would be a pretty strict set of rules that would have to be followed. Ie: Homework and chores must be completed, Academics would have to be satisfactory, etc.

I got a NES when I was 8 because my parents were painting the house. We played that thing to death... Mario, Duck Hunt, World Class Track Meet, Legend of Zelda, and Kung Fu all the time... my grades never slacked off because of video games, and I haven't done anything violent. The important thing (and you should definitely include this in your research) is that the parents must be involved in the children's lives and that includes video games. The parent needs to be responsible and aware of what types of games the children are playing. I've advised a few parents against some games (GTA, etc) because of their hardcore aggressive nature (the children were 10 to 13-ish).

15. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

no

1/ no
    2/ yes (not following esrb ratings though)
    3/ If I had children, I'd encourage playing videogames as a social event by playing with them, buying & authorizing multiplayer (LAN, hotseat, no internet before 15 years old) videogames, and strategically placing the console in the living room, so as to control playing time. Before 12, no playing without mom or dad watching (or kicking their young a$$se at mario party 11!)

Yeah I know, I'll be a real nazi with my offsprings :D

16. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

/signed

:D

17. neffedo thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I really appreciate all the replies. I'll have enough to include in my research paper. :) Thanks.

18. fklehman macrumors regular

fklehman

1) No.

2) Yes.

3) I plan to allow my kids to play video games commensurate with their maturity level, not their age. If they are doing well in school and demonstrate through their behavior and attitudes that they are growing up to be mature, responsible human beings, I'll let them play whatever games they want to. I'll always reserve the right to have the last word though.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

1) NO.

2) I would, if I had children.

3) Because games are F-U-N :)
    (and they help keep kids from bothering adults ;) )