Three tips to make OS X even more secure

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 28, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That was a really stupid article.
    Those were the best three tips they could come up with...? :rolleyes:

First: An admin account is NOT the same as a root account. Even from an admin account you have to enter admin password when making changes to the system.

Second: What's the point when even anybody with medium knowledge can just restart the machine and wipe the users password with a OS X CD/DVD and then gain access to most things on the machine.

Third: Network time is OK, but the logs will work even if you manually set the time to 1970.

Silly.

3. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Actually it is only obvious if you have a decent knowledge of OSX. There are a lot of IT guys who wouldnt know that and more than a few PC users who wouldn't know about the procedures.

4. macrumors Core

still these are common knowledge too, nothing new here for most of us

5. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Yeah they didn't even mention firmware pw which imo should be the first thing recommended.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Haha, and if you really want to secure your data, a better step would be to get your colleagues who still use windows to switch to OS X or Linux. ;)

In Panther I actually did create a non-admin account, and it didn't seem to do too much and after a while, didn't seem that useful, so I stopped bothering with it. I'm on a private network, behind a hardware firewall and a stealth software firewall, with almost every port blocked... I don't run files from non-trusted sources and I don't use Windows. I think that's quite enough. :)

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

I have a non-admin account for GUESTS to use. But day in day out, I use an admin (NOT root) account. Macs are meant to be used with a single account (admin) by default. Improving on that practice is possible, but I don't see it as vital. Unless, that is, you're feeling gullible and want to make it slightly harder to resist putting in your admin password when some random unknown download asks you for it :p But then again, it will ask that even if you're NOT logged in as admin... and you can DO so even if not logged in as admin. You must simply do the minor extra step of typing your username.

So extra accounts (for a single person) is needless complexity for most people--but good for guests or kids I think.

8. macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Who are "they"? I was all pumped to find some nice, juicy tips.
    ZZZzzz.
    X

9. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Here are my tips for security, they are almost as awesome and relevant:

1) Wash your hands after using the restroom

2) It's not a toy, you'll shoot your eye out.

3) Don't eat the yellow snow.

Enjoy your Mac! :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68020

ham_man

Now invision Microsoft's security tips...
    :D

11. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Where was that quote from an MS exec, along the lines of, if you want to be adware and spyware free now, and can't wait, perhaps you should look elsewhere? :D

12. macrumors 68020

That wasn't an MS exec, that was an Intel guy.

--Eric

13. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, yeah, oops. :D

14. macrumors 65816

GodBless

No tips are offered to make it more secure from hackers meaning that it is already secure enough from hackers by their standards. Their tips just make a better experience for the user. ;)