Throbbing iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dagless, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only noticed it today, and seeing I've had it for a week now it must be a very hard to pick up problem. And really now, if you don't want to be irritated with your machine don't read on! I'm very conscious of this issue now, don't be too! unless you have this minor issue I suppose...

Basically in a mute room the iMac (17" 2ghz CTO) tends to make a throbbing humming noise. I put the machine to sleep thinking it might be my amp or external HDD's making the noise but it wasn't. It's a low pitch, hard to hear hum noise. pushing in around the case doesn't stop the noise.
    Anyone else got this? It's nothing major really, the sound of my oldest external HDD drowns the noise out. I'd just love to know what causes it :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cool. Is it the optical drive? Is it running very hot? :)

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Funnily enough the first thing I did was remove a CD in the drive! . hang about it's stopped... it was doing it all night and has just stopped this morning. how unusual...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weirdness. I wonder if it's related to the temperature.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hmm, I use a 17" iMac w/ 2GHz Core 2 Duo & 2GB of RAM at college (in one of the computer labs) and I have not noticed this problem. :eek: :)

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I've pinpointed it, the iMac was innocent all along... how could I ever challenge the noise of an iMac? It was the flamin external HDD! The new one at that. God knows how that got past me... ah well. HDD - you are now off.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry I must have skipped over that post. :eek:

Glad that you were able to fix your problem though raggedjimmi. I had a similar problem to the one you described. I bought a 300GB external HDD and it made an annoying rattling/vibrating noise, so it ended up getting returned. :)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, much trust you must learn, young raggedjimmi. :D

High fives! That's that first Star Wars-based post I've ever made. I really am turning into the geek extraordinaire.