Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I wanted to see if anyone had success using Throttlestop 8 under Windows?

The program can be used to stop Turbo Boosting and lock the processor at a lower clock speed. This should help with thermal throttling.

I have it installed and can seem to get it to operate correctly.

Thanks!

seifer48

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
I haven't tried throttlestop past 7 beta 3, didn't realize it had been updated for broadwell. I'll have to go check it out. In order to control thermals and tweak performance I've been using Intel XTU 6. XTU 6 added support for broadwell. If you aren't familiar it allows for under/over volting the cpu and gpu, changing multipliers, long and short turbo windows, wattage, etc. Basically anything that the intel chipset allows that the manufacturer didn't lock down. I use it every day with my m18xr1 to run my 2920xm at 4.9ghz x4 with HT. Wonderful software, just got to make sure you grab the correct version for your chipset. 6.0.2.2 works great for the 2015 12" Macbook and best of all the wattage and voltage settings persist from windows to OS X. Actually allows me to 25m raid in WoW at reasonable frame rates at 1280x720(everything on low but particle effects on medium, projected textures on, texture resolution high, view distance high). BTW, huge overclocking nerd...I generally only lurk for years. Made an account just to respond to you. Link to latest XTU below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I haven't tried throttlestop past 7 beta 3, didn't realize it had been updated for broadwell. I'll have to go check it out. In order to control thermals and tweak performance I've been using Intel XTU 6. XTU 6 added support for broadwell. If you aren't familiar it allows for under/over volting the cpu and gpu, changing multipliers, long and short turbo windows, wattage, etc. Basically anything that the intel chipset allows that the manufacturer didn't lock down. I use it every day with my m18xr1 to run my 2920xm at 4.9ghz x4 with HT. Wonderful software, just got to make sure you grab the correct version for your chipset. 6.0.2.2 works great for the 2015 12" Macbook and best of all the wattage and voltage settings persist from windows to OS X. Actually allows me to 25m raid in WoW at reasonable frame rates at 1280x720(everything on low but particle effects on medium, projected textures on, texture resolution high, view distance high). BTW, huge overclocking nerd...I generally only lurk for years. Made an account just to respond to you. Link to latest XTU below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Thanks a million!!!!

Would you share your settings with me? Looking to do some steady gaming myself :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.