Thrust that Master Sword

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html

Nice. And as the article says at the end; it's almost here. Wii launch being just a couple of months away.

How do you feel about this? Of course I cant comment as I've not played a Wii yet. But it can't be that bad, since Shigsy is making it and has taken the leap to using the sword as a freehand weapon. it must be useable.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hell yeah! :) This is gonna be so freaking awesome. I wonder though if a sword swing will be a sword swing, or if swinging the 'mote differently will make different slices.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I actually just this second finished reading that article then came to MR straight after and saw this :p

I think it'll be great addition and will help to immerse you in the game. Can't wait for it!

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I doubt if anyone will be able to make an effective game where the sword in the game mimics your actions with the wiimote. The problem I see is effective feedback.

In real sword fighting when you sword fight, weapons clash and your sword is suspended in a certain space. However, with the wiimote, you won't have this resistance and your wiimote will keep moving. What happens to the movement of the virtual sword? Will it just cut through everything like a lightsaber?

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I see your point. Sure it's not perfect but it is closer than real fighting that pressing a "A" button.

They could always simulate weapon shocks with a strong rumble from the wiimote.

I hope this gets well implemented in game. I'm still worried about lag, especially after reading some previews of the updated red steel control scheme.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily worried about the force feedback as many games have survived without it. I think flight sims and racing games benefit the most from force feedback.

Anyway, I'm sure that Nintendo have worked out the majority of the kinks in the controls (and the rest are probably small and should be worked out by launch). I think that's why the game wasn't originally anounced/demoed with this method. Nintendo didn't want to have to retract this statement due to major problems with the new controls. So they're announcing features as they get the bugs worked out, and we're surprised that they're actually gonna do what we've speculated on all along. (I'm glad to see that this is progressing further and further from just a straight port from the GC version.)

For the first iteration (first-party, first iteration, that is), I don't expect the controls to be 100% perfect. But I'd bet that they're gonna be really good.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just give me a bleeding release date already. Pre-Ordered the game over two years ago. This is getting ridiculous :D

8. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I know how you feel but I've always liked Nintendo's and Blizzard "This game will be ready when it's ready" philosophy. Very reassuring. I prefer a game to be pushed back several time if it's ensure a well polished product. Look at what you end up with when you purchase a game that stuck to a short development time and a strict deadline (Thinking movie based games here).

That being said… Is it ready yet? Me wanna play! Gimmie. gimmie! :D

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! True. It's the same story with S.T.A.L.K.E.R on the pc. That's about 2 years on my pre-order list too.....

As long as a game doesnt go the same ways as StarCraft:Ghost and get canned we'll be happy.

Here's dvdboxoffice details

Order #******* Ordered On: Thursday, March 1 2004
    • 1 of: Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess @ $62.95ea. $62.95
    Product Number: 90061377 Product Type: Nintendo GameCube Arrival Date: Wednesday, January 1 2025

Let's just hope that arrival date is a misprint :p :D :D :D

10. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

When i found out that, i was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS......i am sooooooooooooooo happy...........when i heard you were pressing the button i was REALLY disapointed. But i bet we still use the B button, like we have to hold it in order for the game to know we want to use our sword......YESSSSSSSSSS

GFLpraxis, if you are out there i know you are jumping for JOY!!!!

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, this was definitely good news. The first time I saw the Wii teaser that showed people playing it I was thinking how swinging the sword in Zelda would be excellent... and then they dropped the bombshell that you couldn't.

For those worried about lag, this really should not effect the sword. The lag reported in Red Steel should not be a concern because you would not need to detect screen tracking for the sword, it would purely be tilt/motion control and I haven't heard reports of that being laggy.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds cool but I'm going to keep my mouth seal until release.....I'm hoping for a very good experience when swing, fighting n such with the wii.....I want feedback as well....like a feel of resistance on the wiimmote...if you understand what I mean.

Bless

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Red Steel didn't have screen tracking for the sword, it was motion sensing based. However, it was gesture based, so the "lag" was because it would wait for you to finish the motion before carrying out the attack.

I didn't get to play anything at E3 that used real-time tracking of the remote so I don't know how well it'd work.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I meant for gun play, I hadn't heard reports of lag in the sword battles in red steel. Although, didn't they change it from gesture to freeform as well? I thought I read that somewhere...

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

You dont seem to exited Praxis, you told me that the zelda at E3 was amazing, would this not be even more amazing????????????

16. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I'm looking forward to the wii... although not a die hard gamer (anymore)..

It's a great opportunity to get fat kids (that just play video games all day long) off their arses. Have fun and get fit! wow! haha

James

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Problem with that is that waving arms around isn't going to require anyone to stand up if they don't want to. Sitting while waving arms or twitching wrists is quite simple.

Besides that, the idea is also marred by the fact that most gamers I know are hardly even overweight, let alone obese... and even if they were, it wasn't just games that did it, and if it was... heh... and they were lazy, they probably wouldn't play a game that required them to "exercise" :p

I guess Nintendo really got the message out that you have to exert all sorts of energy with jumping and waving of the arms all around... either that, or people just exagerate in an attempt to belittle those interested in the system. :rolleyes:

18. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Im sure they will be two cntrol schemes, the one at e3 and the new one!

19. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Seems as if shaking your hand back and forth constantly - to gesture for attacks - would become tiring. From the way he describes it, at least. I wonder how much of the 'iceberg' is really left, to be honest.

It would be interesting to have the option to be thrown into 'over-the-shoulder' mode, with a sort of free-aim control over the sword.

Really, I think a GRAW-style (or RE:4-style), third-person camera, with some cinematic effects (camera bob, etc.) would greatly enhance the experience.

I certainly hope he reveals more about the game and the features he reluctantly holds back sometime soon.

When's that Nintendo-Exclusive tradeshow?

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They haven't had a Spaceworld expo since 2003...Nintendo's either going to have a press conference in September or save everything for Tokyo Game Show.

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought the official word on Spaceworld said there is to be no show this year. And Nintendo won't be heading to TGS? Maybe i misheard or dreamt it.

Tomorrow is Liepzig. "Wii will keep our promise".

22. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

There will be some Nintendo showings at TGS. Harvest Moon, for one.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It says the 23rd at 10:15 AM, but I can't figure out which time zone. I'm looking at the English page.

24. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

GFL you really donty seem to be that excited anymore......

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Honestly, I'm still unsure. I dislike the idea of throwing sword-tracking into a game based on button combat without radically changing the game engine and how things interact.

A new Zelda title from the ground up designed for Wii with real sword fighting? Awesome.

Zelda: TP with Wii-enhanced aiming and shortcuts and all the buttons remapped to the Wii controller? Awesome.

Zelda: TP with real sword fighting controlled by the Wiimote, but all the same type of enemies? Unsure. Why?

There's not going to be any actual swordfights obviously because Zelda: TP's game basicly has three actions that can happen when you swing the sword.
    A) It doesn't hit anything.
    B) It hits something.
    C) It is blocked (hitting a wall, or swinging at the same time as an enemy, or hitting a shield).

You can't intercept an opponent's weapon directly, you just have to swing at the same time as them (no worry about where the sword goes)- that's how every Zelda game has worked since Zelda 64. So that leaves Nintendo two options:
    A) Either they reworked the entire game engine from the ground up (yeah, right)
    or
    B) They developed a fancy motion-tracking scheme to accomplish the same things as pressing buttons.

However, when Nintendo says it works well, it usually does, at least from my Wii E3 experience, so I'm not putting it down :) Regardless, I was amazed at the game and LOVED the bow and arrow aiming with the Wiimote, so I'm sure I'll love this.