Thumb Drive Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blind Buzzard, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Blind Buzzard macrumors member

Hello All -

I have recently picked up a very inexpensive 1gig thumb drive (yes, they are practically giving them away anymore). It came with some proprietary software for downloading and installing apps, but it only functions on a PC.

I'm looking for suggestions on apps that people may use or have used on thumb drives that can be very useful in day to day life, and I'm working off of several OS's. (Mac OSX, WindozXP, and Ubuntu Dapper Drake.)

I was also thinking about installing DSL on the thumb drive, anyone has success with it, or opinions?

Thanks!

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Because I like having my bookmarks available to me and I like using Firefox, I have the x86 Firefox Portable on my flash drive. I use it at work and on the computers at my university. Go search for it. I don't remember the site, but they've got a lot of different apps on it.

3. Blind Buzzard thread starter macrumors member

I have tired the mini app version of FF. I downloaded it from here: http://portableapps.com/

Does anyone know of a password or encryption app that could be used on multi platforms?

4. tdoo macrumors newbie

5. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I put my cshrc and aliases for Linux, OSX, Solaris, and HP-UX on my drive so they are always handy.

For Windows, I put: WinRAR (one of the only apps I can't find a good replacement for on OSX, BTW!), Xemacs, TrueCrypt, PuTTY SSH.

For OSX, I put: CoRD, CyberDuck, jDiskReport, JollysFastVNC. Mainly just convenience stuff since OSX generally comes with most "must have" things already.

Not all of these are "portable" and run from the flash drive - some must be installed.

6. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502