Thumbdrive Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xfactor11391, Oct 16, 2005.

1. xfactor11391 macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2005
    I have a kingston datatraveler 512mb. I have had it for a couple of months it it has been great. Yesterday when I tried to put some files on it, the status light is blinking on it but it is not showing up on the desktop or the little sidebar on a finder window. Is it broken?
  2. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Does it work on another computer? If not I'd say its borked.
  3. Aliquis macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2004
    Try formatting this on a Windows machine and then see if it will mount on the Mac. If so, then you can either just use as is- so you can use it on a PC and Mac interchangeably, or you can reformat it on the mac once you get it mounted and use it solely on the Mac.

If that doesn't work, I'd try it on multiple machines, ... and if nothing there, then the drive may be pooched.
  4. xfactor11391 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2005
    How do I reformat the thumbdrive on a PC. Is there any way to format it so I can use it on a PC and a mac? thanks
  5. itsupikiookami macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2005
    Format it through Windows Explorer (once the drive shows up in My Computer, right click it and select Format).

DO NOT format it on a Mac - I did this with my 1 gig thumbdrive and it made it completely useless until I reformatted it on a PC. Unless your Mac is capable of formatting a drive with FAT (or possibly FAT32), don't even bother with it.

Formatting your drive with FAT or FAT32 wil make it usable by both Windows and Mac.

And, as a side note, if you use the drive on a Mac and then on a PC you'll see some files (.DSSTORE, if I remember correctly) you don't see on your Mac - they're safe to delete but really don't take up much room.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    I don't see why everyone keeps saying format thumbdrives through a PC. I've never done that and only formatted them on my Mac using Disk Utility. Just make sure you choose MS-DOS File System, (FAT variant) and they always work on both Macs and PCs without flaw I've found.

Also I see in 'Disk Utility' there is a Verify and Repair section, under 'First Aid'. You could give those a whirl and see if they help at all.
  7. wisdom22 macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2007
    Disk utility

If i erase any thing off the thumbdrive it doesn't free up any space.
    I cant figure out how to format it, where can i find this 'disk utility' :confused:?
  8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

You could just Spotlight it. :rolleyes:
  9. sbluetruck macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2007
    Wisconsin der hey
    mount it on a windows machine if it's not working on your mac.

try rescuing as many files as possible.

> right click on the drive
    > format
    > name whatever (no periods or punctuations as this tends to confuse the machine)
    > file system FAT or FAT32 because they are read and writeable by both PC's and Macs.
    > wait........ and wait........ and wait.....
    > try mounting on Mac.

if problem persists, it could just be broken.
  10. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2007
    You need to also empty the trash (before you remove the drive) free up the space.

wow - old thread
  11. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2005
    So that's why I have the same issue. Everytime I delete things from my drive, it does not free up space in it, and I have to plug it into a PC to format it.

I'll try out this one... ;)
  12. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

May 1, 2008
    weird that it doesn't show up at all, it could be broken. Check it on other devices, PC, another mac, Ps3, whatever you can.

If it does turn out to work, you can format it through the mac, but for some reason, only by a specific way.

Normally, you would go to Disk Utility, and select the "Erase" tab, enter a volume name and select "MS Dos File System", but on small thumb drives, this option fails to work. What the mac does, is formats it as FAT16 instead of FAT32. I did this, and I believe it reduced my 2GB stick to maybe half a gig, or less. Not to mention it did not work on other devices.

So what you do is connect the thumb drive, open disk utility, and select the "Partition" tab. Select "Ms Dos File system", Enter a Volume name, and go to "options" and select "Master Boot Record" partition scheme. This should format it as FAT32. It worked for me, my only problem was it seemed to take a while considering it was just a 2GB drive.
  13. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Feb 12, 2006
    I don't know what issues you're having there Shaun. I just formatted a USB Thumb Drive on my iMac tonight running Leopard using D.U. and it formatted it as Fat 32. Perfect.
  14. Toropop macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2010

Thanks so much, i.Shaun! This worked like a charm!
  15. mulo macrumors 68020

Aug 22, 2010
    Behind you
    thats funny, i have sorta the same problem, but its not just with thumb drives. Ill stick whatever in an USB port and it wont recognize, then il pull it out and stick it in another port and it will work just fine.