Thumbnail Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by derajfast, May 22, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    When I tried renaming a few pictures, the thumbnails changed and wont show the picture anymore. Instead, the thumbnail now is a black square, with the word EXEC in the top left corner written in green. When I open the file, it still opens fine in preview, but the thumbnail doesn't work. I tried changing the files to jpegs and bmps, but that wont work either. And then some others are just blank white icons, but they still open fine in Preview as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!
  2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Repair Permissions.
    Dunnon otherwise, i'd try a few things, but I don't wanna lead you up the garden path!
  3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    When you double click the files, do they still open in Preview? Try right clicking the files, choosing open with other application, navigate to preview in the dialog, and make sure the "always open with" box is checked before you click okay. This should trigger a change of the icon type back to jpg which should in turn turn the previews back on. Dunno why your computer suddenly thought thinking they were binaries (you see files with that icon type inside the package contents of applications).