Thumbnails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fleetwood Mac, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You know, using a Mac for the past six years has been quite easy. It seems as if tasks (even the most complex) I have never completed before are second nature before even making an attempt.

One thing I'm having surprising amounts of trouble with are thumnails. OS X is totally confusing me here. I love the way photos imported from my camera (since I started to use my mini to import) have b-e-a-utiful thumbnails in the finder. They make organization and sharing easy (iPhoto is great, but is drives me insane). On the otherhand, photos which I have moved from my old notebook do not have thumnails. Must anything else be said? I have thousands of pictures, I can't be bothered to open each one in preview...... :p

So, I'm inquiring as to whether or not it is possible to add a thumbnail to your everyday-average jpg's after the fact.

-iDuck

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Something which would likely work is to go to the folder where the photos are stored, hit ⌘-J to bring up view options, and be sure to check "Show icon preview".

3. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Thanks a million jsw!! :D

4. nilonilo macrumors newbie

And if this doesn't work?

I tried this solution,(addressed to iduck) but only the jpeg icon still shows. This is a folder of very old scans. I know I can take each one and resave each one individually, then the image shows up, but what about a whole folder?

5. aspro macrumors 6502

Wow, I have memories of frustration trying to sort out photos in finder using lots of cmd+i windows. I really wish I knew this back then!

Thanks for the tip!

6. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

So you've selected the Show Preview checkbox in the folder's Get Info properties? Make sure your in Icon view and not list or table view. Icons may also load slowly.

7. nilonilo macrumors newbie

When I go to Get Info a thumbnail shows up in Preview section ofthat window. I find no SHOW PREVIEW to check in the Get Info Box. O SX 10.4.8

So the folder itself is still without previews.

8. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Did you right click on an image? Try right clicking on whitespace or pressing command (clover) + I while no file in the folder is selected.

9. nilonilo macrumors newbie

10. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I gave you the previous suggestion because a thumanil in the GetInfo window usually implies you've selected a file. No show preview checkbox indicates that you have opened the right GetInfo window.

11. nilonilo macrumors newbie

other question

While I've got you here can I ask another question to you that I've gotten no reply to?

How can I make an annotated page of thumbnails from a folder? ie thumbnails laid out in standard format with room for comments and titles? I've got Adobe CS2 and Office.

12. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Automatically? Don't know if you can. Might have to do it by hand, bu it shouldn't be that difficult if you know your way around photoshop.

13. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

I never knew this was possible. What a difference it makes. I was even able to change it for pix I have put on my desktop.

Thank you to iDuck for asking the question and to jsw for having an answer.

14. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

No problemo. How long did you go without knowing? I'm so impatient I posted it up the very second it became appearent.

nilonilo, how are you holding out?