ThumbsPlus-like program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tubedogg, Mar 3, 2005.

1. tubedogg macrumors regular

I'm looking for a ThumbsPlus-like program for Mac. (www.cerious.com)

It should be able to support hundreds of thousands of images, allow multi-word keywords, be very customizable and bonus points if it can import ThumbsPlus' Access database.

Any ideas that won't break the bank?

2. metalbunny macrumors newbie

Looking for a ThumbsPlus equivalent myself, I found this thread through Google, and find it odd no answer was ever given...

Personally I need the duplicate image finder in ThumbsPlus (on the PC, it's basically impossible to find any other that comes even close to how well the ThumbsPlus dupe finder works), and the swift ability to move/copy huge amounts of image files from one folder to another, without breaking reasonable organization. I keep pictures, video, and related text documents together by subject. 40+ GB of files, well more than 500,000 pictures alone, not counting video and other related files.

I don't care about the editing features, Photoshop and Corel Photo-Paint have always been just fine for that. But the management abilities I do need.

iPhoto isn't geared for the task, Picasa is an insult (when Windows Explorer is easier to work with than a program that's supposedly designed specifically for the task, something is wrong).

Read several recommendations for Lightroom (darkroom?) and Aperture, but the price is scary. ThumbsPlus is $60, Aperture is $200.... Aperture is a great program, but the price level is absurd for what it does, and what it can't do...

3. jenolen macrumors newbie

Count me in..

I'm a "Googler" too, who found this thread, 'cause I'm looking for the exact same thing. Consider this a second vote for some love by my more Mac-savvy breathren.

Thanks!

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

aperture? sorry if im wrong but didny c;ick the link because ur describing sumthin like adobe lightroom

5. Weaselboy macrumors Core

Weaselboy

Why wouldn't iPhoto work for this? Seems like it does everything you want except import Thumbsplus database.

6. JDThird macrumors newbie

Because at least in my case, I use folder structures to organize as well. And I haven't found any program on the mac side yet that has the directory structure visible so I can just drag and drop to the appropriate folder when I'm sorting through 10 thousand new photos to organize and sort...

I'm new to the mac, still "test driving" my new macbook pro in the 15 day return period, and this is one HUGE problem that may very well prevent me from converting from my tablet PC to a MAC. I hate having to do parallels for just one graphics program when all I've heard for years from people is that Macs are THE platform for graphics work. But like the others in this thread, I just can't find anything that's as good as ThumbsPlus so far...

7. JDThird macrumors newbie

Another post I found the closest thing for my needs so far, so posting that here as well in case anyone else googles this older thread... I'm currently testing out Photo Mechanic - thumbnails on the right side, folder structure listed down the left, native editing (though my advanced editing I still use Photoshop CS) for quick things, it's snappy and for the few things I did with thumbs plus so far it works well. I don't know how far it will go for the advanced TP users, but at least for me at first glance and use it's proving to be the best possibility i've tested so far.