Thunder walks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dagless, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just got back from Oldham (my nearest town, if you wanted to know). a pleasant day of doing nothing more than putting some money in my bank (so i could order Advance Wars DS :D) and my girlfriend getting some microwave noodle snacks. only the sky was really haunting. it was 27 °C but its been cloudy all day.

we just got our dinners and went for a mini picnic in the art gallery grounds... and we were saying how brilliant it would be if a storm just appeared. we could have gone into the basement in the Library or art gallery or whatever... only it was fine. hot and not a drop of rain.

then on the way up to the bus station i got a killer headache just behind my left eye. felt like a pressure headache. i reminded her of the time i was on holiday as a kid, it was a regular day. me, my dad and my brother and sister were walking along a stoney beach in scotland. I told my dad there would be tornado tonight (the news said it would be windy) but he didn't believe me, i mean who would?! but yea. there was a tornado. first one ever to hit this little town. i got the same headache then.

so anywho... looking into the distance, Manchester was covered in clouds. you just couldn't see it. we knew something was up. got on the bus. and all was well, until a mile down the road when the heavens opened. but it was all ok still! i mean, its just rain. [i know rain can be dangerous, but we're in the hills. it just rolls off for us]

but the lightning began. it was all the norm until our bus stop 5 miles from Oldham. my girlfriend pleaded that we waited inside a shop whilst it passed... only the shop seemed to be shut.
    we ran towards my house... running past houses that were all dark. so we came to the conclusion there was a massive power cut. and the shop really was open! a real big "d'oh" moment.

so the lightning was shooting over our heads as we ran, my girlfriend was crying. i swear i was nearly too. it was striking tree's in this neighboring field. it was just amazing. sort of like you were going to die but by something immensely beautiful.

at this point my headache just goes crazy. feels like my heads splitting in half. all the roads are like rivers. even now with the thunder stopped.

but we got in. and i just couldn't stop laughing for a good 30 minutes, my girlfriend sorta half crying half laughing. a diluted near death experience and all that.

luckily the in-house generators kicked in and we still had power. but when it came to turning the alarm off as we entered, the underground seismic detectors were going crazy! i have NEVER seen them do that before. plus the water in all the toilets has just been drained.

strange thing is my headaches gone now. not BBC nor Dashboards weather widget said it would be anything more than a cloudy hot day.

stranger thing is this happened last year too. exactly the same thing.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Scary... but I much prefer watching storms from the relative safety of indoors.

What's the weather for next week's test then? :D :p

3. bartelby macrumors Core

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

What an experience you two had. I can imagine it was exciting and scary to see lightning streaking across the sky above you and all. I probably would have been in tears and laughing just as your wife had done.

Well, just for a reminder for next time bring a point and shoot camera and get some pictures.

5. iGav macrumors G3

crikey... what kind of house do you live in? in-house generators, underground seismic detectors :eek: :p :p

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Wow... I had a similar experience:

This was probably about 4-5 years ago now, but my future-wife and I were canoeing in the Everglades... anyways, these gi-normous raindrops begin to fall and it was nearly a clear sky, weird. So we start heading back to our launch, when it starts to get really dark... we get up out of our canoe, return the oars and start walking back up the dock.

Well, it just so happens that there's this shack nearby (I was maybe 10-12 feet away from) that also just happens to have a lightning rod on it. My future-wife was up ahead of me a bit, when she turns around... suddenky her eyes open wide and her mouth is open in mid-scream... turns out there was a humongous lightning bolt streaking down right towards that lightning rod. I can't see it, because my back is turned... and she never noticed that the shack had a lightning rod on it, so she thought the lightning bolt was headed straight for my back.

Anyways, what was weird about the whole thing is that here's this big lightning bolt streaking towards us (well, the lightning rod) and I didn't hear a single thing. I mean, I thought I would have heard a crack or an explosion of some kind... but there was nothing. Just kind of this eery absence of sound. My future-wife was screaming at the time, and I couldn't even hear that... I'm thinking that the lightning bolt was pressurizing the air around us or something like that and carrying all the sound away.

It must have been a really surreal experience for her, here she is only having dated me for a few months and now she's going to have to tell my mom that I'm dead. ;) Me, I still laugh at her when she tells me about it because since I never saw the lightning bolt I never had the near-death experience she remembers so vivid. :)

7. UberMac macrumors 6502

A MAGIC house! Or, a house with über important top-secret september the 7th Apple products in it! Or...well I see no need for that stuff in a house actually :p

Well back on topic(ish) I'm sat with my trusty powerbook on my windowsill staring out into a field where the lightning just kepps crashing over and OVER! It's SO amazing! I've never seen the view from my window (a field full of horses and trees and a lake :D ) look SO incredible - it's so beautiful.

I kept trying to take a photo of it for you guys but I keep missing it (no surprises there) so I'm just going to sit and witness the spectacle! :D

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

my ex-uncle (i call him that, hes my mums sisters ex-husband, but we all keep in touch) built this house. he usually builds massive millionaire houses but he was nice enough to do us a discount. but thats nothing compared to the bullet proof glass, reinforced walls :D. no bunker though. i always worry about a nuclear strike :(
    He built a house for Paul Scholes too, the england footballer. dunno if he still lives there though!

but wow stonyc, your story is fantastic! very haunting sounding.

funnily enough the sky went the most amazing yellow as the sun set. it just cleared up intime for sunset and the whole house just turned yellow and red. stunning. should have got a photo :(

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We've had a ferocious storm overhead for the past hour or so... we're in one of the few tall buildings in the city centre so we have a really good view of proceedings. The ambiance is spoilt a bit though by everybody's alarms going off. :p

10. Lau Guest

I know, how rubbish is the BBC weather! I live in Bath, and It was totally mad and dark at work late afternoon, and just before I left, it all kicked off. Mad fork lightning, thunder that was well, thunderous, everything. The bus home from took about 45 minutes cause the traffic was awful, but I just spent it looking out the back window and gawping at the lightshow. Loads and loads of fork lightning, and because Baths in a kind of bowl, the storm just got stuck there and went on for hours. There was a big black spherical cloud over the bus and it just kept firing lightning down and down. At one point I'm sure it went in front of the buildings and hit the street but I wouldn't bet my life on it. It was all very cool.

As for the headache thing, raggedjimmi, as a young teenager I always got a nosebleed before it thundered. I remember a very hot, beautiful sunny day when I was about 12, I got one for no reason, and said to my friends "it'll thunder tonight". They all said "yeah, right", but that night there was the most awesome storm. I think it's something to do with pressure and ions and the like. Anyway, I don't get them anymore, which is less messy, but less prophetesque. :p

And by the way, your experience tonight sounds terrifying, but kinda cool at the same time. :)