Thunderbird 2 vs Apple Mail? How's the tagging? MailTags?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpaceJello, Feb 5, 2007.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Anyone using Thunderbird 2? Curious how's the tagging works? I know in Apple mail, there is Mailtags, but that doesn't seem stable (or at least from reviewers)... so I was looking for alternatives to that that I can tag mail and set up smart folders to sort mail... so much easier for later...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't really done more than look at the tagging. I've been using filters since before I started with Thunderbird and the filters don't seem to support tags yet.

3. Erasmus® macrumors member

help

hi guys! is someone there who knows how to import my contacts from my nokia mobile into thunderbird? I used iSync and brought them into my address book, and I know I can have use of them on apple mail, but I hared thunderbird is better so I would like to do the same on it. is there a way I can type the name of the contact without having to remember the mail address? thanks!

4. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

unfortunately, there isn't any easy way. i'm working on a an applescript that dumps the addressbook data and upload to an LDAP (openldap). thunderbird does not have the capability to quesry addressbook (yet). there is a commercial product that do this already but i'm a cheap guy & love diy.

as for tagging. i rarely used it. as for performance, i use thunderbird because Mail just couldn't keep up with the amount of email I have (since 2000). it also has a oplugin to check webmail (yahoo, hotmail, gmail).

5. Erasmus® macrumors member

ehm?

... right.... so .. eh.. you're suggesting to go back o mail, aren't you? anyway thanks for the help!!!

6. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

What do you mean mail couldn't keep up? How many messages are you talking about?

(I'm asking because I recently decided to use Mail exclusively - had thunderbird but got tired of it)

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, I searched for this mailtag for mail.app, its actually an 3rd paty app for mail.app?
    for TB2, there is a button on the toolbar, click it, u can label ur selected mail to different cats (which u can edit as your wish), with different color (again, u can edit color as u wish). U can also setup filters to move/delete/label into a certain cat (or do whatever u want ) with the mail that meet the conditions u specified (including the labels u just set). and u can choose to view only mails with a certain lable. etc. generally, its more flexible than mail.app.

they main thing I give up on mail.app is that it always has trouble access my IMAP server, and don't display attachments when they are *.txt.

Attached Files: