Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StUPoT

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Hi just trying to do the Thunderbolt update on my mid 2012 mbp and everytime it restarts to install it I get the grey scrollbar come up then it turns itself off? When it's all loaded back up it still hasn't installed... Anyone else having this trouble?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi just trying to do the Thunderbolt update on my mid 2012 mbp and everytime it restarts to install it I get the grey scrollbar come up then it turns itself off? When it's all loaded back up it still hasn't installed... Anyone else having this trouble?

Is your machine plugged in to AC power? It needs to be to run this update.

Browno

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Same happens with me. Happen on v1 aswell. Both been stuck in App Store updates for a year now...
Done them connected to AC power aswell...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 15.54.06.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 15.54.06.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 104

StUPoT

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Yeah I had the lead plugged in. Im gunna try in safe mode like someone recommended in another thread

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I just got a brand new notification from the App Store that this particular update is available, maybe the delivery of the update has been repaired, or other bugs have been worked out of it. Haven't done the update yet yet as I'm mid-project here, but I'll report back once I give it a shot.

***EDIT: Report - it worked this time, laptop was plugged in to power, etc. Not sure if this new release (if it even is a new release of the update) is a cure-all, but it did work for me this time. Here's hoping you get it figured out!

Last edited:

MJ-uni

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Hi,

a similar thing happend to me too.
MBP boots, the update starts installing.
MBP switches off at a certain point.
(power cort plugged in, shift+ctrl+option - thing tried)

No further improvement, still the same process. Since I'm getting any further than the installation screen my MBP is currently not usable :(

Any hints are appreciated. Thx.

MJ-uni

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Hi Macman45,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I tried both just now and the MBP still shuts itself off.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hi Macman45,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I tried both just now and the MBP still shuts itself off.

Check Activity Monitor for anything that might be causing the issue...You don't have any AV installed by any chance? If you do either disable it, or get rid of it completely...You don't need it if you are running OSX only.

MJ-uni

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
I cannot use Activity Monitor since my MBP isn booting anything.

I went to disk recovery but there is nothing like the activity monitor.
I tried the terminal but top doesn't work.

But thanks for the reply anyways.

*** oh and no AV and no other OS

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.