Thunderbolt Display + PS3. Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by okayokay, Sep 24, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Self explanatory title.

Can I connect PS3 to a Thunderbolt Display?

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Right now, you cannot. In the future you may be able to do that if an appropriate adapter is released.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to say I have a HDMI to USB adapter, won't it work ??

4. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No.

5. macrumors 65816

Kanex and others make adapters that work with mini-dosplay port to HDMI for PS/3 and other devices. But the new ACD uses a TB cable. I would expect these same companies to make an adapter for TB to HDMI as well but there is nothing right now.

6. macrumors member

Right now, Thunderbolt display + anything that doesn't have a thunderbolt port = Not possible.

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 65816

9. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. That's a miniDisplayPort video (with which TB also is backward-compatible with) to HDMI adapter. Not the other way around. This little box takes a miniDisplayPort signal - which you'll also get out of a Thunderbolt port if nothing else is plugged in to it* - and output an up to 1920x1080 HDMI signal. That's all.

The ONLY THING that can drive a picture on the Apple Thunderbolt Display is a Thunderbolt Mac. Period.

*To complicate things, certain TB peripherals will allow you to daisy chain a single displayport monitor off them, though for very specific technical reasons the Apple Thunderbolt display cannot without another non-video TB peripheral in the chain after it. AnandTech has the technical details well described, and it's not just because Apple felt like being mean; it's a specific TB-protocol hardware limitation.

10. macrumors member

When is that going to happen? Any news?

11. macrumors 6502

Given the lack of enthusiasm regarding Thunderbolt adoption among OEMs and the fact that TB requires quite a few electronics components in the cable and at each end of it - I'd not bet my money on it... And even if it appears it is likely it will be costly (I'd guess no less than $100).
    cheers

12. macrumors newbie

Intensity extreme by blackmagic can capture ps3 on macs with thunderbolt. Only within the software you get with it though I think. Zero lag so if the viewer was larger playing multiplayer fps would be fine.

13. macrumors newbie

Nope

14. macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

That captures video, it won't connect a non-Thunderbolt PC/Console to a Thunderbolt display. It's also $299.

15. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

I'm not the most savvy when it comes to the technical aspects of video cables, but I don't think an adapter is even posibble in this case.

16. macrumors member

I am pretty sure you can only use component and standard definition cables with the ps3 due to HDMI being locked for video capture by Sony. This is all possible. Try the EasyCap for a cheap solution on amazon.