Thunderbolt External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by pgyanke, Jun 2, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I need a new portable hard drive. Since I'm using the 2011 MacBook Pro, I was hoping to buy a thunderbolt-enabled connection. Google searches don't show any current products.

Anyone know how close we are to a thunderbolt-enabled external hard drive? Should I just buy what I need now or will waiting a month bear fruit?

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

They are not widespread yet.

3. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

5. thread starter macrumors member

So maybe I'll wait and see. Gotta say, though, the Lacie product is primarily SSD... probably going to be expensive.

Thank you!

6. macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I remember 9to5 Mac had a list of Thunderbolt stuff when it was first released on the MacBook Pro. I just tried to find the article but couldn't, like the other posts here most of it wasn't available at the time. I do remember that Lacie being on there though.

7. macrumors member

scoobydiesel

I will be waiting to buy a thunderbolt product for sure, but yeah the SSD means pricey for sure... But it'll be worth it riiight?

8. macrumors 601

eawmp1

Remember, Thunderbolt offers no speed advantage over Firewire for external traditional drives as the drive is the limiting factor. SSD, however...that is another story with TB.

9. simsaladimbamba

TB offers some advantage even with traditional HDDs, be they 2.5" or 3.5", as FW800 is limited to 65 to 70 MB/s, but many HDDs can reach speeds of up to 120MB/s.

10. macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt is also advantageous in that it reduces the number of required connectors