Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgyanke

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I need a new portable hard drive. Since I'm using the 2011 MacBook Pro, I was hoping to buy a thunderbolt-enabled connection. Google searches don't show any current products.

Anyone know how close we are to a thunderbolt-enabled external hard drive? Should I just buy what I need now or will waiting a month bear fruit?

pgyanke

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
According to Anandtech, the Promise Pegasus should be available by the end of June.

So maybe I'll wait and see. Gotta say, though, the Lacie product is primarily SSD... probably going to be expensive.

Thank you!

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I remember 9to5 Mac had a list of Thunderbolt stuff when it was first released on the MacBook Pro. I just tried to find the article but couldn't, like the other posts here most of it wasn't available at the time. I do remember that Lacie being on there though.

scoobydiesel

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
California
I will be waiting to buy a thunderbolt product for sure, but yeah the SSD means pricey for sure... But it'll be worth it riiight?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
So maybe I'll wait and see. Gotta say, though, the Lacie product is primarily SSD... probably going to be expensive.

Thank you!

Remember, Thunderbolt offers no speed advantage over Firewire for external traditional drives as the drive is the limiting factor. SSD, however...that is another story with TB.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Remember, Thunderbolt offers no speed advantage over Firewire for external traditional drives as the drive is the limiting factor. SSD, however...that is another story with TB.

TB offers some advantage even with traditional HDDs, be they 2.5" or 3.5", as FW800 is limited to 65 to 70 MB/s, but many HDDs can reach speeds of up to 120MB/s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.