Thunderbolt - Firewire converter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ccs569, Aug 5, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2011
    Trying to get my files from my old MBP to my new MBA and already have a external HD with a firewire cable. Any chance there are converters available besides the $1k display?

2. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    A company called Sonnet is supposed to release such an adapter sometime this summer. They haven't said when or how much it will be yet.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2011
    England, UK
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2011
  5. macrumors 601

Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    Simple. It's easier to make money by licensing a part (or charging a company to put on a 'mac compatible' sticker on the part) than it is making the part.

Wait for our larcenous friends in the people's republic to get their hands on some of these peripherals, reverse engineer them, and put them on ebay.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2011
    ouch that really sucks, isn't thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini-display port? can't you just get mini display port to fire-wire? (doubt it but what do i know?)
  7. Rasan, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

macrumors member

Aug 18, 2011
    This is a very clever idea, has someone tried it yet?

Edit: Is there even a DP to FW adapter? DP is for Video information only, isnt it?
  8. macrumors 603

Jun 14, 2010
    Yes, miniDisplayPort works fine in the Thunderbolt port.

No, I don't think anyone has ever done a mDP to Firewire adapter. VGA, DVI, HDMI, yes. Firewire? Don't think I've seen anything like that.
  9. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Ethernet cable, wireless network, or external drive.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
  11. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2007
    I've never seen a a DP to FW adapter.
  12. macrumors member

Jun 10, 2004
    I've been waiting forever on this! Atleast give us a converted to use!! I'm hoping in the future the thunderbolt ports could power 3.5" enclosures without a power supply....or am i just dreaming? lol
  13. macrumors member

Aug 15, 2011
    Dream depends on whether or not it makes the transition to LightPeak (the original name for ThunderBolt). With LP, everything was designed to be done using fibre optics and lasers, so really long really fast cables could work. The only disadvantage is that the ports would be unpowered*.

* Theoretically, they could combine optical data and copper power in the same cable. I'm not familiar enough with the spec to know.
  14. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2005
    Reject Beach
    It's anyone's guess. TB currently supplies a max of 10 W, I think just shy of being able to power most 3.5" drives in an external enclosure. The future of TB lies in optical cabling for greater bandwidth. Obviously, this would remove power from the spec unless they come up with a hybrid optical/copper cabling scheme.

Edit: EthanMiller beat me to it.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2011
    mDP uses a different cable than thunderbolt, although the connectors are compatible. TB cables have active chips in them to handle the communication timing. I doubt it would work, if such a cable existed, but who knows?

I haven't seen a mDP vs TB cable comparison yet, only a TB cable teardown, so I have no idea if the pinouts are compatible or exactly what role the chips in the cable do.
  16. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    FYI, I contacted Sonnet through the marketing e-mail on one of their press releases, and while they didn't have an update on the availability of the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter, they did say that they will be announcing another Thunderbolt device tomorrow that will ship by the end of October. They also claimed that other previously-announced devices will be shipping "soon."
  17. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Apparently it's an ExpressCard 34 adapter.
  18. macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2011
    I dunno... ~$150 seems rather pricey... do others feel similarly or am I off?
  19. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    It does, but if it comes with a cable of any kind, consider that Apple charges $50 for that. That said, it does address what had been a shortcoming of Apple's entire notebook line (apart from the 17" Pro), and it opens up the Thunderbolt port to existing adapters such as eSATA or USB 3.0.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Aug 18, 2005
    Cool, so the OP could use a FireWire expresscard in that! (although it would make it even more expensive). But at least the peripherals are actually starting to roll out now.
  21. Moderator emeritus

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks! Put together something on this:

Didn't see any other sites posting it yet which is always a good thing (thanks to you).

But you are looking at ~$250 with the card. I think that is a pretty small market, considering that you are limited to "only" 500MB/s. Definitely a good thing that TB devices are starting to show up though.
  22. macrumors member

Aug 19, 2010
    I'm really disappointed at this product. Not only does it require THREE separate parts to work (ExpressCard, the adapter itself and the Thunderbolt cable), you have to buy the TB cable from Apple. That means you're paying nearly $300 AND lugging around 3 components. Definitely not an elegant nor financially practical solution at all.

I'm looking forward to the day that we see a Thunderbolt to USB3.0 + FW800 hub for less than $200. That I'd buy in a heartbeat.
  23. macrumors member

Jan 9, 2003
    'Express Card' ??
    -- will this thing let me plug in old PC-card firewire devices?
    "CardBus" or "PC Card" or "PCMCIA Card" is what they were called.

I still have (from a Lombard G3) a
    "NewerTechnology FireWire2Go Cardbus Card for Powerbook G3 Series"
    and a "IOGear FireWire CardBus Adapter" (3 ports).

Will this "ExpressCard" slot accept and work with these?
  24. macrumors 603

Jun 14, 2010
    Not without a hacksaw.

ExpressCard <> PCCard/CardBus/PCMCIA
  25. macrumors 68000

Sep 19, 2006
    Millis, Massachusetts
    Does your FW drive also have a USB port on it?