Thunderbolt Supports Booting From External Disk

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ever since Apple and Intel introduced the Thunderbolt high-speed data connectivity standard back in late February, there has been speculation about whether the standard would support booting from external disks. At that initial release on revamped MacBook Pros, Andy Ihnatko reported that booting was not supported, although Target Disk Mode was supported. But a report from The Mac Observer early last month indicated that booting from disk would be supported over Thunderbolt.

With Apple's Thunderbolt cable and the first third-party drive systems hitting the Apple Store yesterday, Apple posted a few support articles outlining some of the Thunderbolt functionality, but failing to disclose any booting capabilities and thus leaving potential customers still in the dark about compatibility.

[​IMG]
    AnandTech's 12 TB Promise RAID setup

It now appears, however, that we do have confirmation that booting over Thunderbolt is supported, as we received word yesterday from a reader who had received multiple confirmations from LaCie representatives that the feature will indeed be supported. Meanwhile, AnandTech has already received one of the new 12 TB RAID systems from Promise and confirms that booting over Thunderbolt is supported.

Article Link: Thunderbolt Supports Booting From External Disk

2. macrumors demi-god

soco

I'm sorry, but this alone is worth the "absurd" $50 cable.

3. macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

sweet! now i won't have to take my imac apart to get a ssd drive in there for the os and all the apps

4. macrumors 68000

5. macrumors regular

There's really no reason why it shouldn't.
    If Apple expects their proprietary cable to become a defacto standard they can't be imposing restrictions just to protect their precious... (OSX).

6. macrumors regular

While it's good to know that it is indeed supported it will be some time before it comes down into my price range though hopefully more and more peripherals will spring up in the coming weeks/months.

7. macrumors 68000

Anything else would have been a big fail.

This is the beauty of MacOS that you can easily clone (a live running) system to external drives and than boot up the same (or complete different Mac) from that image. Would have been sad not to support this.

8. macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

Sweet! Now I just need to wait for OWC to make Thunderbolt enclosures and Monoprice to make Thunderbolt cables, and I can buy an iMac instead of a Mac Pro for my next computer.

9. macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

…Proprietary?

The fact that they are currently the only people making them doesn't mean it's proprietary.

10. macrumors 68040

shamino

I assume that other manufacturers will start shipping TB cables for less money.

Just like an HDMI cable that sells for $75 at a retail store can be purchased for $10 from other suppliers, I expect that in a few months, we'll be able to find TB cables selling in the $5-10 range.

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Agreed. The need for MacPros is diminishing. A few more years and a low-end Air will be snappy enough for most current programs and with Thunderbolt it will be an excellent portable that expands to a snappy desktop.

13. macrumors demi-god

soco

Oh I don't doubt this at all. I just meant that for now, people are bugging out about Apple's, when it should be obvious that they'd charge the premium as you can't get the cable elsewhere.

Yet.

14. macrumors newbie

uncle.zed

YES!!! 2xOCZ vertex 3 with SATA 3 RAID 0 in small TB box behind my iMac27". YEAS please/.

15. macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

You know, I knew there was a reason why they put all that bloat in the software...your vision of the future would definitely cramp sales at the high end of the market.

Seriously, as pointed out, anything less than being able to boot off an external drive via TB would have been a huge fail.

16. macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Um... any modern mac can boot from USB as well as FW, not sure why anyone expected TB to be any different.

17. macrumors G4

*LTD*

So now we *like* Thunderbolt?

Yesterday a lot of you panned it as a failure or approaching one, and now it's "I WANT."

Gotta love the usual MR crew.

18. macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like it.

19. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just wait for Monoprice to add Thunderbolt cables to their inventory.

The rest, as they say, will be history. :)

20. macrumors newbie

iMac + external SSD = win?

So this means I can buy a SSD external drive for my iMac and boot up through it?

I would greatly appreciate an answer :eek: ?

21. macrumors 6502

Its not proprietary, and its not Apple's. It's Intel's.

Didn't we have a story last week where either HP or Sony was adding Thunderbolt technology to their systems, but under a different name?

22. macrumors 68020

peskaa

When the external SSD enclosures launch, yes.

23. macrumors 6502

Light Peak, the codename for Thunderbolt. Because that won't cause confusion at all :rolleyes:

24. bmk
    macrumors regular

The point is that Thunderbolt speeds would mean it would be as fast or faster than your internal hard drive. Yes it's possible to boot with a firewire disk but it's not practical to use it in any real sense to work on.

25. macrumors regular

Does anyone with a TB Macbook Pro/iMac and another non TB comp have TB cable in hand yet? If so can you check if Target Disk Mode works via the Mini Displayport jack?