Thurrott at it again lol

Discussion in 'Community' started by liketom, Aug 2, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

just skimming over the M$ Vista and reading Mr i hate Apple Thurrot, And that cheeky begger has a pop at 10.3's control panel !

after reading all of his review Vista sounds like something i've seen before ? now where was it ??

if this has been posted - i'm sorry

"Control Panel has been significantly updated with a new look and feel, though it retains the category-based organizational scheme (Figure) that Microsoft pioneered in XP (and Apple borrowed in Mac OS X 10.3, see my review). In Classic View, Control Panel betrays a few new features, including an Auxiliary Display applet, which will work with the next generation of notebook computers and Tablet PCs (Figure). A new Programs applet replaces the old Add or Remove Programs and provides front-ends for adding programs, viewing and removing installed programs and updates, and other options (Figure). A new Solutions to Problems applet will apparently one day out-help Help, but right now it's pretty useless (Figure). And the Windows Parental Controls applet hints at future features, while in Beta 1 it offers just limited functionality (Figure).

--Paul Thurrott
    July 27, 2005"

extract taken from Mr i hate apple computers and there users but love to copy there software Thurrott's webby site

link - if you must http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_beta1_01.asp

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think it's pretty much decided that this guy is a muppet, lets stop giving him clicks.

3. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I agree with Munkle's sentiment; however, I thought it would be worthwhile to note that a whopping three days later, he attacked the imac G5 on another of his sites. He's a real champ.

4. Blackthorne macrumors newbie

What do you expect from a paid Microsoft Cheerleader?

It's a mistake to assume that Thurott is an open-minded journalist who makes impartial analyses. That's what he and Microsoft want you to believe. He is extremely well paid by Microsoft to be a cheerleader and salesman. It's classic propaganda and disinformation.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Talking of Thurrott, is anyone else getting redirected from Winsupersite to the WindowsITPro page?

For the record, I think Mr Thurrott is just incredibly inconsistent. He occasionally has great things to say about Macs and is obviously disappointed with the direction Microsoft is taking, and then the next article, he'll be slamming the Mac and praising the PC. :confused:

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Thurrot pretty much operates under the notion that the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

7. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Maybe Microsoft had forgotten to pay him that day :rolleyes:

I was actually just reading through his article, and looking at the screenshots. It does look quite pretty, I'm embarrassed to say - but as soon as I read that paragraph the somewhat hypnotic hold the site had over me suddenly got shaken off. I tried to find out what his beef with the System Preference pane was, so I dug out his 10.3 review here, but it doesn't mention it at all :confused:

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Vista Beta 1 hardly installs properly it seems. x_X'

I keep getting "The system cannot find TAPI32.dll" and it will fail.

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I emailed thurrot about his article. He got back within about 4 hours! I'm impressed!

I said:
    Hi Paul, I was just curious about a line in your Vista Beta 1 review.
    You mentioned that Mac OS X 10.3 had borrowed elements of Windows XP
    - specifically the Control Panels way of organising itself, and then said
    for more information to read you 10.3 review. I found the review, and it
    doesn't seem to mention this at all. Could you give me a little insight into
    this?

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

what did he say?

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What's wrong with muppets, don't make a muppet mad ...

Attached Files:

12. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I just went back and made this a little clearer.