Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
There are generally two things I make a point of not-doing;
- Starting new threads
- Giving Paul Thurrot fuel (he loves attention, good or bad.)

But his latest postings on his blog, http://www.internet-nexus.com, forced me to do it. He really tears it out of Apple this time! Just when I think he's starting to be rational about Apple, he blows it.

I like the way every other article ends with "It's funny to see [company/journalist]" finally stating what I've been saying for years." Course you have Paul, course you have :rolleyes:.
To be fair he probably is the most right person in IT ever. According to him.

Read, laugh, cry, flame, whatever. Just thought I'd let everyone know, it's good if you're bored and can't sleep.

In other news, I can't sleep.

AppleMatt

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
AppleMatt said:
There are generally two things I make a point of not-doing;
- Starting new threads
- Giving Paul Thurrot fuel (he loves attention, good or bad.)

Snip

Actually I didn't see anything that was all that bad. Paul does go over the top most of the time. I think Steve Jobs will get some backlash from PC people as well as the Konfab people for more distortion field. Not much though, nobody really cares. (the PC World completely let the liquid cooling thing slide, Apple designers must've been hanging out at PC mod shops before they designed that one, and created the first PC with liquid cooling). Steve Jobs' has really lost credibility with the IT world. No problem though, he has his own.

I'm surprised he's being given a free ride on RSS being "new."

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
MorganX said:
I think Steve Jobs will get some backlash from PC people as well as the Konfab people for more distortion field.

Before I crash out I better add, I wasn't too impressed with the whole Dashboard/Konfabulator thing. And before people hammer me with screen shots, proof Apple did this first or that first, I'm well aware of the history, and I've made up my mind. IMO, Apple blundered on this one. I am very impressed with how the developers are handling it though, kudos to them.

I think he has lost a certain amount of credibility in that when he was catapulted to power he was seen as one of the top of his field, but later "fell-off" (booted from Apple, NeXT, reality distortion field etc), but he's bringing it back with the help of things like G5 super-computers and the like. I doubt Apple will have a foot-hold in enterprise any time soon, but it would be nice to see a growth in that area.

Right, now I really must sleep.

AppleMatt

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I have been watching "Jobs" credibility rather closely and am not really impressed with the way Apple is handling "new realeases" or other product developments. Unless you can say "wait a minute… I have a patent on that" then stop your whining. If Jobs happens to see something that interests him he will "make it his own". Look back on history and see how things like WYSIWYG, GUI, and other inovations, even the "Mouse" came to be. Someone saw, and someone made ;) that's the way of business. :D

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Its hard to say. Dashboard is an evolution of Apple technologies. Yes, Konfab also ran with the concept, and as ex-Apple employee(s)the ideas may have been developed in parallel.
But I will say that the Apple incarnation of this feature is better than Konfab's. I have had problems and issues with resource higging and in the Dev Preview, DB works well with minmal CPU cycles.
But I digress, this was about Thurrot.

Everyone one has opinons. Its easier to sit on the sidelines and call foul than it is to run a company and make the calls. I can say some of the statements about supercomputers, 'First', 'fastest' etc. can be attributed to marketing folks at least as much as Jobs himself.

In all honestly, most consumers will rarely even see, and most have not even heard f liquid cooling. Yes, for years in chop shops, gaming rogs and the like its been around. But no top 5 manufacturer has a standard model with liquid cooling. Apple was the first. So, technically accurate, although misleading. The same holds to some extent the other foibles mentioned.

Thurrot loves to incite mac users, mac fans, mac maniacs. It provides hits, provides fodder, and boosts egos. He has some points that are valid and many that are rehashes and old news, and many that are just plain nuts. But again, its easier to target Apple from a desk and a PC with an anonymous column than to have the responsibility to shareholders, employees and such to make a profit, and keep up morale and generate publicty.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
seamuskrat said:
Everyone one has opinions. Its easier to sit on the sidelines and call foul than it is to run a company and make the calls. I can say some of the statements about supercomputers, 'First', 'fastest' etc. can be attributed to marketing folks at least as much as Jobs himself.

In all honestly, most consumers will rarely even see, and most have not even heard f liquid cooling. Yes, for years in chop shops, gaming rogs and the like its been around. But no top 5 manufacturer has a standard model with liquid cooling. Apple was the first. So, technically accurate, although misleading. The same holds to some extent the other foibles mentioned.

Kudos, my sentiments exactly

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hmm, after reading that "Nexus" thing, he says
Mac OS X. 12 million users. Steve noted that the "conversion to OS X was complete." That means there are 12 million Mac users, not 25 million, as the company has continually claimed. I accept the 12 million figure as reasonable, despite the fact that many OS X users have probably purchased 2-3 versions of the OS.
Umm, 12 Million OSX users, with the other half running classic is what steve said...whether you believe what steve said or not, paul is either a lier... or didn't watch the keynote. Whatever. He should work for ZDNET.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
so im just curious....WHO THE F*** is this paul thurrot character? any explanation on who he is, why he's so despicable, and what he does, would be nice.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
BrianKonarsMac said:
so im just curious....WHO THE F*** is this paul thurrot character? any explanation on who he is, why he's so despicable, and what he does, would be nice.
He's not despicable or anything, just sometimes annoying. You know, a ZDNET-ish leave out the facts kinda thing. He's obviously very very very very pro-MS, which is fine by me, but when he states something about another company its sooooo flagrantly false or out-of-context its almost flamebait... I mean, just look at the example I wrote above, he shouldn't miss something like that, for someone who wrote 12+ pages about longhorn etc, he shouldn't miss something like that. I don't know, I just ignore his stuff most of the time... though if your interested in Longhorn/MS his place is the one to go! Its the closest you'll get to a Macrumors for Windows...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
stoid said:
And get viruses that exploit 10-year old security holes. ;)
Scroll to the bottom of the Apple sucks diatribe and you see a virus warning. :p

I get it guys, you don't like Apple. Dvorak, Enderle, Thurott (don't care if I'm spelling their names wrong), you got your hits, you riled up us Mac lovers who just-don't-get-it. :rolleyes: You know, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike Macs, or Apple as a company, but these kinds of articles don't help anybody.

The zealots get mad, the Mac-haters get their fuel for the fire, nobody wins. It's a computer, you don't like it, don't buy it.

(haven't made my mind up about the Konfabulator thing yet. There are 2 sides to every story, including this one, as told ad naseum on almost every tech site out there)

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
wait a sec - who wrote this?

upon reading that blog entry, i became a bit confused.

most of it is just quotes from an article written by a guy named Jean-Baptiste Queru from osnews.com . i mean, i don't keep a track record on where paul thurrott came from, or what kind of cars he drives. so i don't really care what he has to say. mind you, whenever i visit his website and see what longhorn is cooking - i barely read any of his observations. i just look at the pics, and think to myself "wait a sec - os x can do that already"

so basically this thurrott guy is simply drooling over his beta of longhorn and waiting to see what other people thought of tiger, and laughing to himself "oh! hahaha! you see! apple sucks! apple sucks! look at what this guy said!" its like an old friend of mine who would criticize the graphics of my sega genesis games to his super nintendos. in the gamer world, he would be considered a fan boy.

or i could be wrong - maybe he uses a mac too... i mean he's got a few mac notebooks and ipods on the "mac gear" section on the right of that page. albeit, listening to van halen and def leopard... ::snicker:: but like i said. i dont' know who paul thurrot really is and i dont care. just keep taking good pics of longhorn and i'll laugh at them by myself.

el_grapadora

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
USA
OK, I used to be a pretty big Thurrott fan (though I knew even then he went over the top a lot). And I can see where MS is/has developed a lot of these technologies. But the things of which he writes (core video, dashboard) which are to come in Longhorn won't be out 'til 2007 at the earliest!

I was really looking forward to Longhorn. As someone who does his share of research papers and other data-intense things, I was looking forward to not having to hunt down a certain quote or data set for hours. But one of the reasons I switched was that it was within Apple's near-term scope. Again, Longhorn is taking for-freaking-ever. The point that I think he misses (and I haven't seen it discussed here yet) is that Apple's innovating consistently. That's reason enough to give Apple the thumbs up.

For the record, I think MS is slow in developing because it's become too disorganized internally, not because of the whole monopoly thing. Apple has the advantage of being smaller in terms of product variety and user base, and therefore in a position to move its focus and development faster.

PS- Dashbord looks horrible. I don't clean up my desktop obsessively to have it cluttered at the wave of a mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.