thyroid surgery

Discussion in 'Community' started by bemylover, Sep 18, 2005.

1. bemylover macrumors regular

I need to remove part of my thyroid gland and I would appreciate advice from anyone who has gone through this.

This is pretty common thing, so I thought maybe there will be someone in in this fine forum too :)

I've read some web-sites, but it's always better to hear the real stories from real people. I guess what I want to know is the following:

1. Will I be able to go home the same day or will I have to stay in the hospital overnight?

2. When will I be able to drive?

3. Should I use general anesthesia or local anesthesia?

4. If anyone from Chicago area, do you know where is the best place to do this? I lived in NY and recently moved to Chicago, so I have not even found my endocrinologist here. I guess what I am looking for is a hospital with experienced surgeons, but also the one where I can find decent endocrinologist and do all the tests(blood, FNA, ultrasound). I don't want to be going from place to place for all these stuff.

5. Anything else you think I should know.

Thanks in advance.

2. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

http://thyroid.about.com/blthyroid.htm

This site has a lot of good articles and general thyroid-related information.

There's also a forum attached where other folks w/thyroid disease post and share info recommendations and experience.

There are also many other online groups, including specialized groups for folks with thyroid cancer, Hashimoto's disease, Grave's disease, etc.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Thyroid_Support_Groups-USA/

This is another very active group w/lot of knowledgable folks participating, and a Sunday night live chat forum.

3. bemylover thread starter macrumors regular

thank you ahunter3 those sites are very helpfull indeed.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Generally: NEVER plan to leave the hospital under your own steam after any procedure that involves anesthesia or invasive surgery - even dental work like wisdom teeth. Take a cab there and back, or enlist a friend. It's not worth having a woozy moment while driving a car in traffic.

Remember, they're going to kick you out of there the earliet moment they can medically, regardless if you are fit to drive or not.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish you all the best with you surgery. Just be sure to follow the advice of your doctors and nurses. Chances are the surgery will be done under general anesthesia. They may keep you a couple of days. May I ask what is the reason for the thyroid surgery. I'm a nurse and so more information would be helpful.

6. bemylover thread starter macrumors regular

hi wdlove, thank you for kind wishes.

I have a nodule in the right lobe. I had a FNA year and a half ago and it showed the nodule was benign, but it's increasing in size and the whole gland is inflating. The nodule started from about 2mm in size some 10 years ago and now its 2.5cm.

It's only one relatively small nodule and it's not cancer, so I think I won't need to get the whole gland cut out but only half of it, and as it is quite large already, I think the other half should be enough.

Well this is my hope, we will know the exact case after I do all the tests again.

As you are a nurse maybe you can help me in chosing the hospital. Do you know which is the best one in Chicago?

CanadaRAM , that makes sense, thanks.

7. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

First i recommend consulting a doctor, they ussually do this sort of work :D

Oh and good luck with your surgury

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear that it's benign. That certainly eases one's mind a lot.

Will be interested to hear the results of your latest testing.

You can always PM me if you would like to iChat.

Sorry but I'm not really familiar with any hospitals in Chicago. Chances are your surgeon will recommend the hospital that he works at most.