TI-83 Plus and equations with variables?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2006
    Queens, New York NY-5
    Does anyone know how I can use my TI-83 Calc to solve problems that have variables in them. Is it possible? I've noticed that the calc has the alpha key, but whenever I add letters into the problem I get an error.
  2. x67892 macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2005
    Savannah, GA
    In a word, no

I am not really sure if it can be had with aftermarket programming, but the TI83 cannot solve equations out of the box. The alphanumeric key is used for programming or storing numbers as letters (and maybe also words).

I am not sure between the TI83+ and the TI89, but I have used the TI89 and know that it can solve for variables.

Hope this helps.
  3. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2006
    The TI-83 or TI-83 Plus or TI-84(I think) cannot solve equations. Only the 86 and higher. If you really need to know a way to solve them make the equation equal to zero then graph the equation on y1 and on y2 graph zero then find the intersection point. That should give you the answer.

The reason you get the error is becuase the variable you put in is undefined
  4. calyxman macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    I.e. a CAS? Unfortunately, you'll need a TI-89 or HP 49 or higher.
  5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    The TI-83 Plus definitely has a solver function. Just check under Math. It's the last option.

It isn't particularly good, but it's there.
  6. takeyourpills55 macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2008
    well it doesn't have one built in already, but with a program and an application or 2 it can. i use several applications in a program i made that solves equations for 1 or 2 solutions (real only) and it simplifies expressions with any amount of variables and puts it an easy way to read. it needs symbolic and prettyprint applications to work (i didn't make these) and i also recommend omnicalc too. email me if you need any help or if you want the program or applications. (takeyourpills55@aol.com)
  7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    just rref the corresponding matrix. very easy to do on the 83

edit: boy o boy do i love 2 year old threads lol
  8. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    89 Titanium baby. Cruise control for Gen-ed required math classes. :cool:
  9. mshelton macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2010