Ti Case Woes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mazmaximus, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mazmaximus macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2003
    Has anyone experienced a powerbook case that seems to be coming apart?! It seems that the glue or adhesive that held the lower section of the ti case together has ruptured for some reason and it's now separating in the right side corner.

I brought the machine into a Mac store and they told me that the only thing to do is to send it to the factory and it would cost like $600!! Now that's a bit much. Anyone have an idea how to fix this on my own? Krazy glue?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'd say just try dissasmebling the whole thing (if you feel technically inclined), and just reassemble it. That way, you'd know exactly what was going on, and you could probably fix it.
  3. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    Are you talking the panel to the right of the touchpad right above the CD drive? Thats been a problem for my book as of late. I even had the top case replaced when the paint started chipping, pre Rev. C model. My old top case had the same problem and my new one just developed it about a month ago. I'll deal with it after the 600 dollar display hinge replacement fiasco.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    if you're still in warranty, demand that they fix it.

if not, research the adhesives you can use carefully before deciding on anything... Many of the strong ones, like super glue will actually melt plastic, you don't want that stuff near your computer. Make sure the glue you use doesn't react to the surfaces, you don't want to make it worse...

5. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i have taken apart my tibook, and i know exactly what you are talking about.

there is a plastic frame that is "soldered" to the titanium bottom. this soldering has broken from either misuse or a fault. if your computer is no longer under warranty, this is an easy situation to fix. buy a torx wrench (size 6 i believe) and unsrew all the bottom screws. to unseat the bottom pull up and out (towards the front of the ti book, the latch side). take care not to bend the titanium bottom. you will see the soldered frame, look for any cracks. use an epoxy to glue it back into place. reverse the process to put her back together.

if you want to see pictures of this process, do a seach in MR and look for an "anyone taken apart their tibook" or a similar named thread.
  6. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    isnt it a phillips size 1 that you needed to get the bottom case off of the tibook?... thats what i use on mine.
  7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    at Phillips size 1 works but technically they are Torx bits the Phillips do run the risk of causing some stripping to the screws too.
  8. nolem macrumors member

Jan 9, 2004
    The silver plat above the cd drive on my tibook will move around when pressure is applied, but that was after I dropped it.:rolleyes:
  9. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I have a similar problem, its really not a big deal. I asked a guy at the Apple store and he said it has absolutely nothing to do with the workings of the machine. So unless its so cracked its exposing parts, don't worry about it.