TI Combo update pushed back....?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Fat Tony, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Fat Tony macrumors member

I went to get my 667 Ti DVD drive updated on the 14th as the program originally was announced, but found out at the Apple store it's now been pushed back to Jan. 28th? Could this be because of shortages on the drive for a new product?? Or because Apple just ****ed up again??:mad:

2. mmcneil macrumors regular

Deliveries seem to be slowed for TiBook

we ordered 5 667 TiBooks a month ago and have not seen them yet. Either they have so many orders (great news) or there is a shortage of parts :(.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Shortages.

Apple is asking for a particularly rare part. Finding adequate supply amidst vendor die-off being at it's worst point in years can't be easy.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

don't be too discontented...

when I ordered my TiBook last January, it took 2 months for arrival...

be patient...it will soon be there....

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I agree, be patient! You will be getting the best laptop in the world! (Debatable I know)

6. Fat Tony thread starter macrumors member

I'm just a little upset, that's all. I held out for quite awhile for the 667 Ti and finally purchased it a little over 2 months ago after being told no combo drives for some time, and 'poof' they came out on the Ti about 2 1/2 weeks later.

I was happy to hear that Apple was gonna let people with the new 550 and 667 who bought a tad to early update their drives. I'm just worried they are gonna keep pushing the date around, especially if something big is supposed to come out at the end of the month. I really need the drive capability for a few projects and rather not have to go get a separate CD burner at the moment.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I dont believe the powerbooks will be updated again until the summer.

8. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Ti-Book update..

The best reason I can think of the hold-off until late January is because Apple has changed their minds about Combo drives and is going to push an all SuperDrive line up on its professional series including the Ti-Book.. Superdrive, not combo.. Think Super and Steveular.

:)

Hey, they have to do something features-wise to keep their pro and low-price lines differentiated!

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Ti-Book update..

good way to "Think Big!"

but doubtful....they would have to charge more than they are for the combos already....

10. hinkhous macrumors member

G4 TiBook

No arguments here about the TiBook being the best portable on the planet. Mine is only a 400, but it still gives me chills everytime I see it or turn it on. I had to wait 2 agonizing months for mine, but now that I have it, I can say it was worth the wait.

11. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Ti-Book update..

That would be nice..... does it come in a slot-load, though?

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: G4 TiBook

I have the 500....and did exactly as u.....ordered mine 2 days after MacWorld....got it 2 months later...

but I love it!!! :D

13. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

There is only one slot loading SuperDrive that i've seen, and it's a japanese product that worked on the mac only, but was about $5000 6 months ago when it was "finished" and my friend importet it...
    so there it one, but it may be some time before it's finished...

personaly i'd like to see the return of the pismo-ish design, or at least somethign with a tray loading design for the G4 powerbook...
    i have a Ti 400