Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
hey just wondering if the new 15inch Al PB's are as tough as the old Tibooks? which material is stronger? anyone with a new 15 inch, let me know how tough this baby feels?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The Alu one.... cos it's fatter... heh-heh!!

Personally I don't think they'll be much in it... the Titanium is stronger than most people give it credit for!!

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Ti is stronger than Al, but it should matter much, nobody will be Bending or snapping your powerbook (well I hope not!).

The Titanium blocks out WiFi waves, so don't get it if you want an airport, my step dads gets about 1/4th of the range it should get

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
The aluminum is just as bad with signals, it's just that both Airport and Bluetooth are relocated to the sides of the screen near the top in order to get more signal than the old Ti versions.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
The aluminum is just as bad with signals, it's just that both Airport and Bluetooth are relocated to the sides of the screen near the top in order to get more signal than the old Ti versions.

Hey Powerbook G5 just posted me pic on your thread.:D hey I own a Ti it feels tough but not as rigid as the Alu books, my friend has a 17" and my gf has a 12" they are stiff but they are all strong books. Anyway while I was working in Tokyo earlier this year I went to Akihabara and man you should see some of the states these used PB where in. I saw this PB Ti with bend lids. Poor thing... "A PB is not just for Xmas its for when Apple release a decent update" :rolleyes:

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Of course the titanium is stronger.... :)

Hey, I gotta feel good about my Ti anyway.

Airport is vastly underrated. I think it gets like 70% of what the iBook's range is.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
There have been a few threads in these forums that discuss how to repair the TiBook's range. Removing the battery and pressing against the sides of the indentation, where the airport card is supposedly housed, fixed my reception problems.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
The Aluminum pBook is by far more durable. The TiBook was the most fragile mac laptop in a long, long time if not ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.