Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
When looking up information for another thread, I came across an interesting hack that claims to:

1. Turn the UJ-815 Superdrive on older Ti Powerbooks into Region-free DVD players (which is nice)

2. Enable faster burning

3. Turn them into DVD-RW drives

Has anybody used this firmware hack? If so, any success stories? Or anyone fry a drive doing this? It seems like a pretty slick deal, if it works. I may consider doing it to my older work PB, and if it fries use it as an excuse for a new one...

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Nobody's used this, huh? Ah well, I guess I'll take the plunge and let everyone know how it works out. Maybe I can slip in a new PB in the 2004 budget still...

theHelix

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2004
I've used it...

... and it seems to work. However, I cannot make back ups of some dvd's I purchased in Europe with the usual software I use. Strange...

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
theHelix said:
... and it seems to work. However, I cannot make back ups of some dvd's I purchased in Europe with the usual software I use. Strange...

But the DVD writing capability, in general, works now? Sweet. I've been in (extremely productive :rolleyes: ) meetings today and haven't had the chance to mess with it. Maybe tonight when I'm home I'll whack it. I've got an external CD just in case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.