Ti Powerbook buying new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Jan 6, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Does anyone know if you can still buy one new? Also in what ways is the new aluminum PB better or worse than the ti powerbook?

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I'm sure you can pick up a used TiBook out there. But unless you really have to spend well below $1000, why would you want to? Hardware-wise, the best of them are easily rivaled by today's iBooks, except for the screen. No warranty, old software, etc.

If it is the 15" screen you're after, I think you will see great deals on the current 15" PBs not far around the bend. And who knows what MWSF will bring. Just get the best laptop you can afford.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The TiBooks didn't have DDR RAM, for one. They were not updated for a long time and were a hole in Apple's lineup for a while, seeing as the 12" and the 17" were both better than it save for clock speed.

The iBooks of today are better, save for the screen and perhaps the keyboard but that is a personal thing. But the TiBooks look so freakin' cool.... :)

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

the last Ti came out in nov. '02. that's two years old. i personally wouldn't bother.

you've been posting a lot on pretty much the same topic... just go and get an iBook, eh? :p

5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

not that the G4 will ever support DDR ram .. :cool:

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I personally prefer the form factor of the TiBook to the Albook. More forgiving, better keyboard, and I like having the ports on the back instead of the side. But now that I have my new 14-inch iBook G4, I'm definitely not looking back. The screen is slightly smaller, but it's got better contrast and brightness, and I actually like the keyboard better.