Ti83, now what.

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimsowden, Sep 30, 2004.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I just got a Ti83. Now I want the sky. How about games, OSs, and anything else cool. People at school have the mirage OS running their games. It seems a bit old though. Anyone here have any ideas? TiCalc.org is a bit incoherant.

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Which model of the Ti-83 do you have? the normal black, or the silver one?

I have the silver one, which I need because of the fast processor (mostly anyways). The difference between the two is that the black one has less memory and 6 MHz processor. The silver one (called the Ti-83 Silver) has more memory, 15 MHz processor, comes with pre-installed applications, and usually has a usb cable for connecting to your computer, though I've seen both the Silver and the normal come with a link cable.

ticalc.org is pretty much the place to go if you want games/applications/etc.

If you don't like ticalc.org, your basically on your own buddy. ;) You could always try to learn BASIC (or ASM) and write programs yourself. I've written a good amount of programs in BASIC that have to do with: games, problem solving, actual school work, programs that display 1+1=3*, programs that randomly cuss at you. All sorts of fun!

*even for really large values of 1.

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83/ click on either BASIC or ASM, and it will take you to a directory where you can d/l stuff.

Oh and make sure you have the latest OS, currently the Ti-83 is at version 1.16

3. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

everyone at my high school uses mirage os.....just don't press the del key in it....under no circumstances....I will never let a non-geek friend touch my calc ever again!!

4. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Actually, its 1.18. I don't see mirage under OSs, which it obviously is. I have the black, and I suppose I need to get a ti connect UBS dealy. I can't find It on amazon because i'm not looking too hard, anyone want to help?

5. thecow macrumors 6502

Here is the link for Mirage OS: Mirage OS

Also, it isn't really a operating system, just a way to run programs out of archival memory.

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Ahh, thanks for pointing out the latest version was 1.18.

I need to check Texas Instruments' website more often.

7. thecow macrumors 6502

You can get the connection cable here: Link cable Just click "Where to buy" on the side bar. They also have them at target, if you live near one.

After you get the cable, you will need the Ti connect software. Link
    You might need to make a account to download it, I don't know.

Edit: You need a account.

8. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i have the ti 84 plus SILVER EDITION, it pwns! and is swell, don't play much games on it though cuz they eat memory and need to use the calc for more important stuff

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I wasted the money on a USB cable, and wouldn't recommend it. Everybody else in school will have the games/os' and will be happy to share if you remember your cable. They've been passed down through years, and as long as one person hangs on to his data over the summer, it'll stick around and get on everybody's calc.

10. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I know. Its so funny how that works, its like nothing else. You could be using a program from 5 years ago. Weird, huh? ANyway, i want to own all the kids in my class by having better, newer games then they. All the kids there have is Uncle Worm and falldown.

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well, for the most part, games (written in basic) don't change that much. Once it's been done, it's been done. You can only make a text based game so fun. (ofcourse basic can do a gui kinda thing too)

One of my favorite games is a game called Pimp Wars or something, it's atleast 6 years old. I've changed the code so much since I first got it, you could almost consider what I made a totally different game.

But higher end users make their own games (or software), and don't rely on other people to do it for them.

I'll get you started programming in basic if you want:

Code:
    pgrm:dialoug
    :ClrHOME
    disp "HI, I AM","3L33T"
    :end

Code:
    pgrm:F->C
    :0->A
    :input "TEMP IN F?",A
    :(A-32)/1.8->A
    :disp A
    :end

The first program will just clear the screen and display a message saying "HI, I AM 3L33T3"
    The second program will convert Fahrenheit to Celsius.
    It may look complicated, but really it's not.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

[​IMG]

Oooooooo! What now punk? My 89 0wNz0r2 u!!1!!!111!!!

13. thecow macrumors 6502

I have doom on my 83+se and its in 3D!!! It is actually playable too. Best caclulator game ever.

14. kilpajr macrumors regular

I don't like those at all. I have an original 89 and could have told my brother to get one of those and he would have swapped me. I told him to get one of the originals mainly because I hate the new button type and button layout. Also, I believe the only update is the amount of memory.

Does anyone have one of the HP 49G+ (I think that's what the new one is)? The specs are awesome. I think it has like a 75MHz ARM processor. I was considering getting one of those but since I didn't know anyone that had one so I could try it out, I have decided to stick with what I have for now.

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Did you ever play Drug Wars? I remember that as being THE game to play circa four years ago. You had a trenchcoat with your weapons/drugs, and you could get mugged at the subway, etc. Great game, lol :rolleyes: Some of the teachers found out about it and got upset, so naturally people just renamed it to "Food Wars." Oh high school...good times :D

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They really aren't all that ugly when you actually look at them in real life. I was having second thoughts about it, but when it actually arrived it looks much cooler than it looks in the pictures. Kind of like the iPod mini. It's just that much cooler looking when you can actually feel the texture and play with it. :)

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

hahaha, yes I do remember that game very well! Very funny. There is new version of Drug Wars called Nerd Wars, you go around doing nerd-type stuff, buying yogurt, solar powered cars and pocket protectors.

What's even better than the games is when you play jokes on other peoples calculator. Write a blank screen program, or a looped program that will run the processor at 100%, and drain the batteries.

Another one of my favorites is when the teacher asks you to clear your ram, so you can't use the programs to cheat..... All I do is run a fake memory-clear program, and she believes it! Buahaha

Good stuff I tell you. :D :D

18. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

haha, yep, gotta love the fake memory-clearing programs.

19. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Mac81

Wow - a TI thread! How cool is this. I love my 81 and my 83 (both very old).

Anywho - I have a copy of Mac-81 - a TI-81 Emulator for Mac Classic. It's one of two programs keeping me from being 100% rid of classic. Has anyone been able to find an 81 or 83 emulator for OSX? Does TI make those any more?

And, if not, why would they stop doing that? I'd pay for it. It's a great way to do screenshots for making manuals, etc. for students - and I miss being able to pull it up on the computer (without having to boot up classic).