TiBook 100Mhz

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, May 13, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Realistically, how long do any of you guys think it will be until we see the 1Ghz TiBook?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

MWSF

I think it will hit 1ghz at MWSF, that seems about the right time.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hmmm... it would be good if there was a 1GHz TiBook released at NY, but we also might have to wait until the G5 is out. maybe next SF?

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think it makes sense that the 1ghz Powerbook will be either in Paris or San Francisco.

I think it might depend on the g5 release date :)

Ensign

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: MWSF

Sorry, but...when is MWSF? :confused:

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Re: MWSF

All the information on the website is still for MWNY, but for the last couple of years it's been the second week of January.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You never know, if its just a simple speed bump and maybe they want to save the spot light for something bigger at MWSF, then we'll see October/November upgrade to 1GHz.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wouldn't it be nice to have 1 ghz tibook and g5 together at macworld sf

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Re: MWSF

I don't know if I can wait until Jan '03 for a 1Ghz model, do you think there will really be much of a speed difference between the current 800 and the 1000 when it comes out?

10. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: MWSF

I think the speed difference will be around 200Mhz....... :p

Seriously though, I reckon we'll see 1Ghz before MWSF, and I don't think they'll be released at an Expo, unless it features lot's more technology as well......

And yes 200Mhz will make alot of difference, particularly on intensive tasks... 200Mhz is still a quite big jump...... :D

11. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Probably MWSF I'dd say.
    Could be Paris also...

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MWSF

Add in DDRAM as well + faster bus! Once the powermacs have the extra bits the rest will follow (pro lines anyway).

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

ECHO... echo...

I reckon MWSF. Just to be different. :p

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I feel the same way about a speed bump later this year...

I'm holding off till the next generation PowerBook comes out though...it'll only be a matter time before we see speeds in excess of 1 Ghz...

ps: I like the watermark in your avatar ;)

15. Tokyo macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MWSF

I just made a chart for myself in Excel showing TiBook CPU releases. If you take the top-speed TiBook as an indicator, then we have the 500, 667 and 800, released (as far as I can determine from Apple site pages) in Jan '01, Oct '01, and April '02.

If those dates are right, then when you put them into a chart and follow the line they make up to 1GHz, it lands you smack into March 2003. Tokyo Macworld. Betcha that's how it happens.

PowerBooks went G4 more than a year after PowerMacs, I would expect the same to happen with the G5. Also, I don't think that new PowerMacs and PowerBooks are released at the same time (not processor upgrades, at least).

PowerMac G4's up to 1.4GHz at MWNY, G5's at MWSF in January 2003; 1GHz TiBooks at MW Tokyo in March 2003; then iBooks go G4 and PowerBooks go G5 in MWSF Jan. 2004. That spreads things out a bit more evenly, and takes advantage of the life left in G3s and G4s.

Tokyo

16. Tokyo macrumors member

Extra note: Another reason I'd expect new TiBooks in March '03 and not October '02 is timing. they just released the 800s at the very end of April--October would mean only 5 months plus change, and that's faster than any speed bump for the G4 or G3 so far in the professional lines. 11 months may be a bit long, but they've done it before.

Tokyo