Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
As I have patted myself on the back on this forum for a while for my impecibly kept tibook 400, I went ahead and sold it -- though still have it for a friend/buyer -- in order to "upgrade" to a 667 Tibook.

OH mY GOD. Then, I went into my usual word program for writing and found out that the screen size on the 667 is a lot smaller than the 400 because of the "better" resolution for Word. I can't seem to drag the page size to the bottom of the screen on the 667 UNLESS I reduce its resolution to the same as the 400 through "display" (1158x768 size) on system preferences.

And then the fun begins. Then the screen goes BLURRY on the 667. As a matter of fact, whenever I reduce its resolution (thereby somehow making the page image on the screen larger), the text gets more and more blurry and "out of focus" looking. This DOES NOT happen on the 400 Titanium -- when I reduce the resolution to the next levels.

What's up here? I simply cannot work on the pages I need to work on if they are in the tiny screen size mode that the 667 delivers. (And in its normal high resolution screen, the text is crisp and clear.)

So, I cannot make the page large enough on the 667 screen -- it simply won't "drag" down to the bottom of the frame of the screen in high mode. When in a lesser resolution mode, it will go down to the bottom of the frame, but I need eyeglasses to decipher the blurry text.

I am about to "sell" as in "give away" the 667 to my friend who's already paid for the 400. What to do? The 667 is perfect in all other aspects except the workaday mode that I need it for!

I won't complicate matters by saying I just bought a new iBOok 14" so the tibook can be my desktop, because I don't want to stop working right now on my project, so any advice? This makes me think Apple calibrated their screens in some weird way and that their original Tibook screens were better. I may keep the oldie 400 if this can't be "resolved" (no pun intended!)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
the bigger pixel count of 667MHz powerbook means BETTER resolution and SMALLER image than the smaller pixel count of the original titanium.

if you want larger image, you'd be better off with the older titanium, or the 14" ibook which has even larger pixels than the original tibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.